How do you string an acoustic like this?

UGB

• Members

tiple3.jpg

I'm about to re-string Dad's tiple and I've never strung an acoustic w/tuning keys like this before. Dad took the string end through the hole, looped it around the post, then through the hole again. Sometimes twice. It was a MAJOR pain getting the strings off. I can't believe that's the 'real' way. Why can't you just put it through the hole, bend it and do it like the tuning keys I'm used to? Oh, one thing is that due to the short scale, this thing can go from slack to in tune fairly quickly. Thanks!!!

I've really got it looking good cleaning it up. Man was that ebony dry!!! I've got a 3rd coat of lemon oil just sitting on it now. I polished the frets w/0000 steel wool 'cause I had to use that to get some MAJOR grime and junk out around the frets. The soft toothbrush wasn't enough. I still had to use my fingernail behind an oil soaked rag to get some out too.

• Members

You poke the string through the tuner from the front. Bring it back up through the slot toward the top of the guitar. Bring it back and wrap it behind the string and bend it at the sting so the extra is pointing to the top again. Start winding the tuning machine so the sting lays on top of the part you wrapped. I always wrap it so the part I'm going to cut off is on the outside, toward the tuner. You may also want to stick the extra part back through the slot so it doesn't get caught and pull away. Done properly, the string tightens over itself and wraps toward the center of the guitar. Leave enough slack in the string to allow a couple wraps.

For what it's worth, I do the same sort of thing when I string a regular guitar too, just vertically. That way, there is NO string slipping.

Back 25 years ago, I showed Jim Olson how to do it on my Martin D35-S. Of course, my kid thinks it's an urban legend but that's ok.

• Members

I just took it through the post, brought it up in the slot, bent it, and wound it. Most strings have at least 4 wraps on the post, but not more than 5. Some went very well in crossing back over to 'lock' down the end, but others just shot off towards the outside or inside and just crammed up against the wood.:rolleyes: They work though.;)

Archived