• Last Reply
  • Members

Cat Stevens - "Into White"
Maxwell - "Whenever, Wherever, Whatever"
Roachford - "Cry For Me"
Jethro Tull - "Sossity You're a Woman"
Croce - "Photographs and Memories"
America - "Ventura Highway"

Some of these are really easy, some a little tougher, but all give a good reason as to why acoustic is so damn popular and awesome.

• Members

In addition to the above especially Simon & Garfunkel, I'd be partial to

Michael Heges -- "Ritual Dance", "Aerial Boundaries, "Ragamuffin"

Steve Howe -- "Mood for a Day", "Ram", "The Clap"

Van Halen -- "Spanish Fly"

Led Zep -- "Bronyaur"

• Members
Originally posted by kwakatak

+1 on Cat Stevens - "Wild World" is one of my favorite songs to play and sing (locked alone in my of course!
;)
) BTW - where's the best tab arrangement (with lyrics) for "Morning Has Broken" or "Moonshadow"??

I go here for Cat:
http://www.majicat.com/guitartabs.htm

I also mentioned Chris Campbell.. I don't know if anyone knows him or not, but the song So Far Away can be found here:
http://www.chriscampbellonline.com/boards/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32
also his songs Jumped The Gun and Simpatico, though not amazingly beautiful are just amazing acoustic songs

• Members

"Never Going Back Again" - Lindsey Buckingham. Detune those new strings way down.

"Beverly" by John Fahey gives me goose bumps... especially the major to minor shift on the F(?). Gah... chills.

Put the old strings back on and play some Nick Drake off Pink Moon.

• Members

Kathy's Song - Simon and Garfunkel (my favorite accoustic song of all time)

Blue Eyes Cryin in the Rain - Willie Nelson (one of my favorite songs of all time and I don't really like country that much)

I promise I'm not a snob and am not classically trained (no way I can play this piece) but.....

Layenda by Albeniz

• Members

Wow ! It really made this old fart feel good to read all the posts mentioning Cat Stevens, who is one of my favorites of all time. Just when i was beginning to get the feeling i was the oldest human being alive and the only one who remembered his name !:D
And as someone else mentioned, i too was sad when he converted. That was a major loss. Who knows what great music he would have made in the last 30 years had he kept recording as Cat Stevens. I don't think he realizes that a lot of his music was very spiritual to a lot of people.

Most beautiful acoustic number I think is Cello Song by Nick Drake.

Again, i'm amazed ! I remember a time when i could not find one person who even knew who ND was, but i guess that all changed a few years back when they used his "pink moon" for a TV commercial. I learned the cello song before a lot of people here were born ! It was one of the first fingerpicking tunes i learned, and i still pick out that main riff now and then to this day. Drakes music is unbelievable, and without a doubt he's one of the most underrated artists of all time. Shame he died before he had a chance to make himself known, which i have no doubt he would have.

As to some beautiful acoustic music, Leo Kottke, while mostly known for his outragous fast paced fingerficking tunes, also picked out some really beautiful stuff too. I spent my early days listening almost exclusivly to him and wrangling with his easier tunes.

• Members

Originally posted by SteveO

Well ~ I'll Throw one in for the New Guy on Harmony Central Acoustic Guitar Forum.....

El McMeens, versions of..........

"There Is a Rose in Spanish Harlem"

"Tennessee Waltz"

"Still the One"

You're most kind, Steve. Now if only I had actually WRITTEN those tunes....

My choice is Leaving Sorrow, the 5th track on Michael Chapdelaine's CD of original tunes, called Land of Enchantment. The tune and the phrasing are sublime...

http://www.michaelchapdelaine.com

El

• Members

lot's of great songs listed..

well, it seems as if I'm on a Lyle Lovett kick this week..I did 3 Lyle tunes out of 7 songs at an open mic wed. night...so here you go:

the last 4 songs on the "Lyle Lovett and his Large Band" album from 1989..

Which Way Does That Old Pony Run

Nobody Knows Me

If You Were to Wake Up

Once Is Enough

actually there are probably 100 good Lyle songs for acoustic guitar.. "If I had a boat".."she's no lady" "pontiac" etc..

but these 4 tunes in succession...ahh...it doesn't get much better for acoustic guitar and vocal imho..

• Members

I've got a few more to add...

Aubrey By Bread

These Dreams Jim Croce

Longer Dan Fogelberg

For a little Strumming

Romeo's Tune Steve Forbert

Margaritaville Jimmy Buffet

Suite Judy Blue Eyes CSN&Y (tuned EBEEBE)

I not nearly as old as my song selection... The songs of my childhood...

• Members

I would agree that most of the songs mentioned thus far are great...Personally, I love the old stuff...However, as the age of metal grows larger, the "singer/songwriter" IS coming back. It's not what it used to be, but there are a few bands out there now that have a couple REALLY good acoustic songs. Anything by Dashboard Confessional (if you're in the mood for depressing stuff) is great.

With this Knife-Smile Empty Soul

The Place You Have Come To Fear The Most-Dashboard Confessional

Name or Two Days In February-The Goo Goo Dolls

Blue In The Face- Akaline Trio-----------------------------
"We live as we dream--alone." -?

• Members

I'm sorry...There are 2 more songs I forgot to mention. There are by this semi-underground band called Ode To No
One. They are REALLY awesome. Their stuff is difficult to find, but it is worth the effort.

'Goodbye' and 'Maybe' by Ode To No One...Look it up, you'll love 'em!!

• Members

No Ed Gerhard either. He has some very worthy tunes, THe Handing Down & Duet.

I just realised that my only contribution to this thread was opinions on others picks.

My favourites in no particular order

Tommy Emmanuel
Mombasa, I've always thought of you, Michelle
Doyle Dykes
The Wings of The Morning, Nothing's too good for a friend
Laurence Juber
Lunar Eclipse, I Saw her standing there
Leo Kottke
Eight Miles High, William Powell

Archived