Good economical acoustic AMP

runlikantelope

• Members

Im looking at getting an acoustic amp for one guitar and vocals.

The one that stands out is the yorkville am100

any opinions? other good amps in this price range with comparable features?

or should i go with a small PA like the kustom profile system?

I play an older alvarez yairi with a baggs active ibeam pickup

let me know what you think

• Members

I'd go with a small PA...check out this one:

http://www.carvin.com/products/single.php?ItemNumber=P620-805&CID=SYS1 ...sweet deal for $499!

Get a couple of speaker stands and a decent mic (can't go wrong w/ a Shure SM-58!) and you're pretty much good to go!

EDIT: Just noted that part of that deal IS two CM50 mics, which are "amazingly similar" to the 58s (;)), so all ya need are a couple of speaker stands and this rig is "gig-ready"!

The Kustom you list is OK for very small gigs, but the one I suggested will allow you to do larger gigs and it's really not that much more expensive!

Plus, if you're serious about gigging (as I assume you to be), you'll eventually have to move up to a better quality system, and the Kustom'll have very little resale/trade-in value, so you might as well buy quality now!

HTH. :)

• Members

+1 for a small PA and the one Terry lists looks like a very economical solution, though the speakers may be a bit small (I would want 12" speakers). You'll bemuch happier with this set-up if you ever plan to play for anyone other than you and your friends in a living room.

Carvin does also make a nice acoustic amp that is really a tiny PA, the AG100, check it out.

• Members

Originally posted by Terry Allan Hall

I'd go with a small PA...check out this one:

http://www.carvin.com/products/single.php?ItemNumber=P620-805&CID=SYS1
...sweet deal for $499!

Get a couple of speaker stands and a decent mic (can't go wrong w/ a Shure SM-58!) and you're pretty much good to go!

EDIT
: Just noted that part of that deal IS two CM50 mics, which are "amazingly similar" to the 58s (
;)
), so all ya need are a couple of speaker stands and this rig is "gig-ready"!

The Kustom you list is OK for very small gigs, but the one I suggested will allow you to do larger gigs and it's really not that much more expensive!

Plus, if you're serious about gigging (as I assume you to be), you'll eventually have to move up to a better quality system, and the Kustom'll have very little resale/trade-in value, so you might as well buy quality now!

HTH.
:)

I won't argue that the SM58 is excellent for vocal work, I use them at church, but I'm starting to lean towards condenser mic's for vocal work, but richer, sharper reproduction...though very fragile.

Not keen on plugging the acoustic directly into my PA, Phonic PowerPod, 2*200 watt, more than adequate for our small church hall, a little too punchy, and hard to balance with the vocals..the guitar takes over..

Try sitting a Shure SM57 in front of the guitar, mic the natural; acoustic quality of the instrument instead of the pick-up;)

Some good advice above though, just thought I'd add a little experience as one who uses a very similar set-up to that reccommended.

• Members

Originally posted by Singin' Dave

+1 for a small PA and the one Terry lists looks like a very economical solution, though the speakers may be a bit small (I would want 12" speakers). You'll bemuch happier with this set-up if you ever plan to play for anyone other than you and your friends in a living room.

Carvin does also make a nice acoustic amp that is really a tiny PA, the AG100, check it out.

Don't buy pedestrian speaker cabs, build you own units..it's very economical, and you'll be able to add quality crossovers to bigger horns for the higher frequencies, produces much sharper sound quality, even played loudly in a confined space...

Here's 1 half of my set as an example;

Rest014.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by Singin' Dave

Well, it does depend on his future plans...if he might one day need to run a bass into his system, then the 12's would make an excellent choice, unless he gets some subs (like I've done).

For strictly guitar/voice, the 10's are excellent!

The one drawback to the AG100 as a PA is the inconvenience of having to go the the speaker/amp combo to adjust the sound...not always an easy option.

Originally posted by fingerstyleman

Don't buy pedestrian speaker cabs, build you own units..it's very economical, and you'll be able to add quality crossovers to bigger horns for the higher frequencies, produces much sharper sound quality, even played loudly in a confined space...

Here's 1 half of my set as an example;

Rest014.jpg

That's pretty much what I did...I needed light cabs (due to my spinal problems), but with a BIG sound. A friend loaned me a pair of Carvin 805s, which were decent, but the high end was a little harsh, so I took the dimensions and built my own "version", but with a different mid-high horn and somewhat more powerful 10's (Carvins rate out @ 200w/8ohms, mine are good for 300, which is all I really need).

If my kid ever brings my digital camera home, I'll post pics later...but only if you'll promise not to laugh at my carpentry skills (I got a "C" in wood shop! ;))

• Members

thanks for all the replies, when i get the money together ill get a pa. It is likely that i will be playing as much electric as acoustic so it makes more sense. In regards to building cabs where can i get info on that. I am definetly into making anything i can you might have noticed the link to a guitar i built in my sig. How much does it cost to build a cab yourself? It seems like there are some good low priced cabs out there. Im thinking about going with a gigrac mixer any opinions?

• Members

Originally posted by runlikantelope

thanks for all the replies, when i get the money together ill get a pa. It is likely that i will be playing as much electric as acoustic so it makes more sense. In regards to building cabs where can i get info on that. I am definetly into making anything i can you might have noticed the link to a guitar i built in my sig. How much does it cost to build a cab yourself? It seems like there are some good low priced cabs out there. Im thinking about going with a gigrac mixer any opinions?

First of all, go to your local library and check out "Loudspeaker Design Cookbook" by Vance Dickason. There is another discussion forum called talkbass.com that has a forum dedicated to speakers and amps, and there are frequent discussions about speaker building there, anything from the simplest box, to do-it-yourself horns. Search users for "bgavin" - he has a downloadable spreadsheet that has a ton of specs and information.

Generally, if you want to put together your own cabinet, you have to know how the specs of the raw speaker interact with the volume and port dimensions (for vented boxes). Then there is crossover design to split frequencies between woofers and tweeters, (and mids if you choose) speaker size and what you want for final frequency response and more decisions. You can get raw speakers from Carvin and they have complete specs there, and also try www.partsexpress.com. They also have a large selection of drivers from many manuafacturers also with specs. Go for more efficient drivers (sensitivity >= 95, more is better). Light weight is good to, but the new neodymium woofers are generally quite expensive.

So I suppose you're on information overload by now, if not ask me some questions. I'll be checking back from time to time.

Peace - BT

• Members

The Kustom KAA-65 is a good budget amp; not very loud for 65 watts though. We use 2 of them at church.

For myself, I have the Carvin AG100D and it's a killer amp. I've used it as a bass combo, acoustic amp, and vocal/mic PA. Love it, wouldn't want to do it any other way. Any PA is at least 3 things to carry; the AG100D is one.

Archived