Slope shoulder Martin

roughtrade

• Members

Hi,
There are several that fit your criteria: The D-18VS, the D-28VS, the D-15S, the CEO 4R, CEO 4 and CEO 5.

The CEO 4R and 4 have 14 frets clear, but the rest of the models mentioned have 12 frets clear.

There's one more that's around, although for the life of me I can't find it at the Martin site. It's not the most intuitive site ever built.....

Anyway, the model is called a D-1 (but not the inexpensive, entry model by the same nomenclature), and it's custom shop piece that you can see here:http://www.vintage-instruments.com/photos/25799z.jpg

It's a shop in Phila owned by Fred Oster, who you may see occasionally on The Antiques Roadshow. It's evidently a very, very true-to-the-original. Here's their description:

MARTIN, "D-1" Custom, NEW, similar to a D-18VS, but one of our faithful Custom Shop reissues of a 1931 Style D-1 12-fret dreadnought, the first true Martin D-18, Adirondack top, rosewood bindings, 3 graduated abalone dots, no back center strip, no decal, rounded head slots, bar frets, Waverly tuners, pickguard under finish, 1-7/8" neck at the nut, etc. "Geib" case & Martin lifetime warranty, as close to an original D-1 dreadnought as you can get (a total of 15 D-1 and D-18 12-fret guitars were made between 1931 & 1933, trhe first 2 being made as D-1s for the Oliver Ditson Company)

So to answer your original question about their being good for bluegrass? Who knows? I play fingerstyle!...................but if the criteria for bluegrass is that they be loud and full sounding? Absolutely then!

Take care,
Howard Emerson

• Members

I have a HD-28VS that I absolutely love. This is an excellent bluegrass guitar. It is very loud - quite a bit louder than my D-41. It also has strong bass and clear trebles. My guitar top also has the most silking I've ever seen.

I recently played a D-18VS that I liked very much also. I generally prefer rosewood guitars, but this mahagony D-18VS sounded great to my ear, with more brightness and slightly less bass than the HD-28VS.

• Members
Originally posted by Howard Emerson

Hi,

There are several that fit your criteria: The D-18VS, the D-28VS, the D-15S, the CEO 4R, CEO 4 and CEO 5.

The CEO 4R and 4 have 14 frets clear, but the rest of the models mentioned have 12 frets clear.

There's one more that's around, although for the life of me I can't find it at the Martin site. It's not the most intuitive site ever built.....

Anyway, the model is called a D-1 (but not the inexpensive, entry model by the same nomenclature), and it's custom shop piece that you can see here:

It's a shop in Phila owned by Fred Oster, who you may see occasionally on The Antiques Roadshow. It's evidently a very, very true-to-the-original. Here's their description:

MARTIN, "D-1" Custom, NEW, similar to a D-18VS, but one of our faithful Custom Shop reissues of a 1931 Style D-1 12-fret dreadnought, the first true Martin D-18, Adirondack top, rosewood bindings, 3 graduated abalone dots, no back center strip, no decal, rounded head slots, bar frets, Waverly tuners, pickguard under finish, 1-7/8" neck at the nut, etc. "Geib" case & Martin lifetime warranty, as close to an original D-1 dreadnought as you can get (a total of 15 D-1 and D-18 12-fret guitars were made between 1931 & 1933, trhe first 2 being made as D-1s for the Oliver Ditson Company)

So to answer your original question about their being good for bluegrass? Who knows? I play fingerstyle!...................but if the criteria for bluegrass is that they be loud and full sounding? Absolutely then!

Take care,

Howard Emerson

Thanks for the info, I am studying classical guitarand I wanted more space across the bridge and nut so I could play fingerstyle jazz and blues and celtic music, but I want to jam with a bluegrass crowd on Sunday afternoons. My classical guitar is simply not appropriate. I do love Martins:D

Archived