my favorite new travel instrument...the ukulele

EvilTwin

• Members

:D

I got one for Christmas, and I've been taking it with me everywhere. For any guitar player wanting to start playing other instruments, I'd recommend the uke.

My little Lanikai is coming to the beach with me. ;)

Anyone else fool around with a ukulele?

• Members

i do! i get in and out of it. i've owned quite a few. now i'm about to get back into it. they're so much fun. and very portable of course as you note. which model is yours? tenor, concert, soprano?

i have a fluke ukulele on order right now. one of the limited run ones. anyways, i think those are great little instruments. all made in the usa too. i'll attach a pic of what the one being put together for me right now looks like. it's artsy. i'll admit half the reason to even buy this one is for the look of it...but the flukes do have a nice sound, and they are VERY consistent with quality control. you can pretty much be assured they'll come setup just right with good intonation, etc. also very durable with the molded back and fretboard. it also sounds surprisingly lively for a laminated top. it is a very good thin top though.

• Members

one more thing. check out this site:

http://www.rockslide.org/Ukulele_Tab.html

this guy is a guitar player originally but now focuses on primarily the uke from what i get. anyways, he is awesome. you have to hear this!

if you just listen to one thing on that page let it be canon in d.

just scroll down to his entry at 11/27/04..

i especially like it when it really kicks in at about the 1:45 mark.

• Members
Originally posted by JasmineTea

I have a Kingston barritone uke. Seems like once I start playing it, I can't put it doun.

the message board format isn't nearly as nice as the one here but that's where you'll find uke players with a lot of knowledge.

• Members

Originally posted by seven7

i do! i get in and out of it. i've owned quite a few. now i'm about to get back into it. they're so much fun. and very portable of course as you note. which model is yours? tenor, concert, soprano?

i have a fluke ukulele on order right now. one of the limited run ones. anyways, i think those are great little instruments. all made in the usa too. i'll attach a pic of what the one being put together for me right now looks like. it's artsy. i'll admit half the reason to even buy this one is for the look of it...but the flukes do have a nice sound, and they are VERY consistent with quality control. you can pretty much be assured they'll come setup just right with good intonation, etc. also very durable with the molded back and fretboard. it also sounds surprisingly lively for a laminated top. it is a very good thin top though.

I've got a little concert uke. Mine is a lam-top, too...and I really am surprised at how good it sounds. Your fluke looks awesome. Kinda like Clapton's "the Fool" SG gone Hawaiian. :D

Thanks for the links. I'll definitely download some of that music.

• Members

check out: http://www.ezfolk.com

there's some cool artists there that use the uke. i really like the sound of some of these people. previously there wasn't much i heard on uke that i liked honestly. other than what i played on it *l*..

http://ezfolk.com/audio/bands/93/music.php

i really like 'icarus' from them.

http://ezfolk.com/audio/bands/131/music.php

listen to 'blue sky' if nothing else. very very cool.

with folks like this the uke will hopefully gain some credibility.

that's just a couple. there's several on that site i don't like. but quite a few that i am liking...

• Members

Originally posted by bullpencoach

I notice that the concert and the soprano sizes often have the same tuning schemes (either g-c-e-a or a-d-f#-b). Is there an octave difference?

No. Tuning is the same with both. Concerts are physically a bit larger than sopranos, generally a bit louder and fuller sounding. And a little less cramped in the fingerboard.

• Members

Originally posted by shecky

I'd recommend the Flea

Plays, sounds good. Inexpensive. Made in USA. Concert size Fluke is a little more expensive.

that's a good choice as well, but coming from guitar i think it would be easier to learn on the fluke standard, or even the fluke tenor. yes they're more expensive, but they do have more room on the fretboard and a bigger sound. also, they're better for low g tuning. i guess it depends on what he's after though..of course be sure to NEVER use a string set that has a wound string on the fluke or flea ukuleles. it will damage the fretboard.

worth strings make a low g set that has all plain strings...that's a good set to use for these.

• Members

Originally posted by LDF

What would you guys recommend as a beginner ukalele that's affordable? I've been thinking about getting one too but I know nothing about them.

I really like my Lanikai. The model I have retails for under $100.

Good place to start, I think. I can't wait to try out some higher end ukes, though. :D

Archived