The old "What's the best pickup for..." thread.

avengerjimmie

• Members

I need a pickup in my Martin D-35. I know you get these all the time, but can anyone explain the merits between the Baggs Ibeam and the K&K Pure Western? I don't know anything about this stuff. I play rock, church rock and some folk. Is there anything else that would be even better? Any help would be great. Sorry for the newbie thread.

• Members

I just purchased a LR Baggs M-1. The guys at Shoreline music (www.shorelinemusic.com) steered me in this direction for playing guitar in a worship band, especially if you are competing against a piano who plays more than just a little fill stuff. Acoustic Guitar also gets lost in the sound of the bass, electric guitars and even the drums. The magnetic cuts the mix better than any other that I have used. No feedback issues with a magnetic. The M1 has a great acoustic sound for a magnetic. Pair the M1 with the LR Baggs PADI, and you have a great combination. If you're looking at doing more solo work, the KKPW or the I-Beam would be good options. There are many proponents of the KK pickups on this site, but I haven't heard them used by the big boys yet. I-Beam is more common.

• Members

My personal experience with K&K... wouldn't put it in a boomy dread like the D-35 (unless you will only be playing in your den and then I still think it sounds tubby). THey may be OK for a Grand Concert or OM. In a band either the M-1 (or Sunrise) or a UST like the Baggs Element. Do a search in this forum, you'll have days worth of reading.;)

Archived