cheap "resonator" conversion in 3 minutes!!

gusfinley

• Members

Okay, so the other day this girl asked me what a resonator guitar was, so I was telling her how in the old days before electric guitars they would try anything to get guitars to sound louder and the resonator was born when somebody put a pir plate in thier guitar.

Well, she asked me if She could make one out of her guitar, and it got me thinking. So after having a beef pot pie for dinner last night, I took the pie tin and stuffed it in my sound hole, carefully smashing the edges so they didn't touch the strings and were pretty flush with the top of the guitar and then used some clear tape to keep it fluch and from buzzing.

It actually Worked!! It sounds like a resonator!!! Now, don't go doing this to any guitar that you value for its looks because it is kinda difficualt to get it in there and I scratched up my fingerboard pretty good, but it sure is a fun experiment.

Next I'm gonna poke some holes in the tin to get more sound out of the whole..........

Yeah, this is too lame to post pictures.... just imagine a pie tin in your soundhole help in place my tape........

• Members

Hey Gus,

Simply sticking an aluminum plate inside the soundhole is hardly a resonator. :eek:

The Dopyera Brothers (shortened to DOBRO) designed and patented a rather ingenious (for its day) idea in which the bridge rested directly on the cone. The string vibrations are transmitted through the bridge and "amplified" by the metal cone. If you are interested here's some more information.

http://www.gibson.com/products/dobro/1996/dobrostory.html

http://www.nationalguitars.com/part1.html

• Members
Originally posted by gusfinley

If I REALLY wanted a resonator I would just buy one..... It was just an experiment that actually turned out well..... all for the sake of fun........

I LOVE it..Kind of like putting playing-cards on your bicycle so they can flapp on the spokes.

• Members

If I REALLY wanted a resonator I would just buy one..... It was just an experiment that actually turned out well..... all for the sake of fun........

Gus,

Sounds like fun, and sorry for jumping on you. I love resos and got defensive thinking that readers may get the impression that they are just a guitar with a metal plate stuck in the soundhole!

;)

• Members

Originally posted by pickinray

Just make sure you remove the pie before putting the tin in your guitar!!!
:D

i will volunteer for pie removal. sheesh, don;t anybody waste a perfectly good pie just to create an uber-classy resonater(w/big red rubba band).

sounds like a fun idea.

• Members
Originally posted by 54merk

Gus,

Sounds like fun, and sorry for jumping on you. I love resos and got defensive thinking that readers may get the impression that they are just a guitar with a metal plate stuck in the soundhole!

;)

I had one that was a flat top with f-holes, with a metal plate screwed to the top, and no resonator, not even a hole cut for it. Don't remember the make.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

just bought a digital camera so I can post pics of this for those of you who wanted to see them

res.jpg

Looks like I'm having a pot pie for lunch soon. How about a pic after the holes are punched, and a tone analysis before I get started?:D

• Members

Sadly, I have about 4 other projects that I am working on at the moment and the resonator has been placed on the backburner..

Truthfully I don't want to put any holes on the plate because I'm afraid that too much "acoustic" sound will get out and it won't sound much like a resonator - not that it does that great a job anyway.... The pie plate is too thin and too flimbsy and not attached well enough for it to really "resonate" but it was a great experiment and it does give a distinctively different tone..

Archived