Martin HD-28 vs Santa Cruz DPW

Jere Mealer

• Members

I would take the Martin in a second. I play a D28 myself.

One of the shops I teach for had 2 Santa Cruz guitars in stock.....both very high end. One had to be returned to Santa Cruz to have work done. But both guitars, looked great but played sub par. I heard many customers and some employees say the same thing.

Maybe someone else has had different experiences.

Martins are my favorite, but I've played many Taylors I've liked aswell(different beasts though.

• Members

Yet my experience is that none of the Santa Cruz guitars I have played...and I do own one....have build or quality issues....can't say that about the Martins I've played (played my first Martin YEARS ago...the 1929 17 my dad had.) My take is try a few examples of each and see which you prefer. I'm not a fan of the DPW actually...much prefer....for tone (prefer the extra highs),

the Tony Rice. However, it's out of your price range unless a used one showed up for a reasonable price.

• Members

I haven't heard that either. I'd have to say, Martins have far more issues with QC and playablility than a company like Santa Cruz.

I'd seriously consider Collings. They blow away Martin with their workmanship. If you are considering Santa Cruz they are pretty comparably priced. They just don't make an entry level model.

• Members

Originally posted by peppy

My take is try a few examples of each and see which you prefer.

Problem with that, and has been discussed on this forum in the past, I'm a lefty. I'd love to be able to try out guitars, and I could if I was in the market for a bottom-end Takamine or a Fender at Guitar Center.

I've never even SEEN a lefty Santa Cruz in person. Come to think of it, I'm not sure if I've seen a lefty HD-28.

I'm relegated to purchasing sight unseen, online. That is why it is helpful to get input from fellow forumites who hopefully speak from personal experience rather than simply "name bias."

• Members

Originally posted by Jere Mealer

I've never even SEEN a lefty Santa Cruz in person. Come to think of it, I'm not sure if I've seen a lefty HD-28.

My take is Santa Cruz for quality....again, I'm not necessarily a fan of that particular model tone-wise. Quality though I would take my chances with Santa Cruz.

Archived