What's the deal with string action on Martins vs. Taylors?

jyd59

• Members

I'm looking for a cutaway jumbo and am currently considering a Martin JC-16RGTE vs. a Taylor 415-CE and I've heard that the Taylors have better action...is this true? Of course, this is subjective and can only be discovered in a blind A/B test, but I think it would be difficult to find someplace that just happens to have two of these babies hanging next to each other on the wall. Anybody who has played either one of these, please chime in.

• Members

The Taylor gives the advantage of an instant neck reset to finetune the action as opposed to filing and fitting on a Martin. I have an inexpensive Taylor (307) which had "Esteban" action when I got it but within an hour of getting it home it plays as easily as my Tele if you don't want to bend:D I guess my point would be that the Taylor can be what you want it to be right now and not after a few weeks in the shop.

• Members

I think a big thing about Taylors and their great action and playability have to do with their neck size vs Martin's neck size. The Taylor neck is very slender almost like an electric compared to the chunkier Martin neck
Jim

Archived