Help Identifying A Guitar

SlowFingers

• Members

I was at a friend's house last night, getting some guitar pointers. He has a guitar that we think is a Martin, but I am not so sure. It is a standard dreadnought with a good bit of age on it. He says he got it used about 15 years or so ago. The headstock does not have the Martin logo on it, but it is well-worn(it does look like a Martin headstock to me, but I am not familiar enough with Martins to be sure either way). The part that leads us to believe it is a Martin is that, inside the box, there is a label that says in big letters "Martin Marquis." I do not see anything about such a guitar on the HC review area. Is there any such thing as a Martin Marquis?Does anyone have an idea why that label would be in there? I can take some pics the next time I am over there, as I am sure that would be helpful.

Thanks in advance for your help.

• Members

Martin Marquis are strings, and it is not at all unusual to find the label from an old string pack inside a guitar case.

If it is a martin, it will have a model number and a serial number stamped in the neck block. look inside the soundhole up towards the neck, and see if you see any letters that might identify the model, such as D-18. If it is a Martin dreadnought, the model should start with a D (for dreadnought) followed by a number which identifies the type of woods, and trim level. Sometimes they throw in a few other letters to describe other features such as pickups, and cutaways.

• Members

What about the "Employee" Martins? I think I read where they are/were built without the logo on the head, but still have the little stamp in the wood inside on the center back brace, and a model number by the neck block...I might have a link..

• Members

Originally posted by SlowFingers

I was at a friend's house last night, getting some guitar pointers. He has a guitar that we think is a Martin, but I am not so sure. It is a standard dreadnought with a good bit of age on it. He says he got it used about 15 years or so ago. The headstock does not have the Martin logo on it, but it is well-worn(it does look like a Martin headstock to me, but I am not familiar enough with Martins to be sure either way). The part that leads us to believe it is a Martin is that, inside the box, there is a label that says in big letters "Martin Marquis." I do not see anything about such a guitar on the HC review area. Is there any such thing as a Martin Marquis?Does anyone have an idea why that label would be in there? I can take some pics the next time I am over there, as I am sure that would be helpful.

Thanks in advance for your help.

These are very GE like instruments with Adirondack tops and vintage features. You can find these on the Martin homepage.

• Members
Originally posted by Tioga_Man

The current martin web site does list some models with the name Marquis. They have a D-28 Marquis and a 1933 OM-45 Marquis. So maybe he's got something.

Not if he's had it for 15 years. The Martin Marquis is a new model introduced this year. It certainly could be a Martin, but a label that says Martin Marquis in the box does nothing to indicate that, no more than a Fender pick in the box would indicate it's a Fender.

If it's a Martin there will be a model name, and a serial number stamped on the neck block inside the guitar. Even if it's not a Martin, he might have something, but from the description all I can tell is that it is a old guitar shaped object with no apparent brand name on it.

I suggest you look it over carefully, and give us any details that might be unusual. A dreadnought made over 15 years ago leaves it open to Every Japanese, and Korean guitar as well as every American brand made in the last 70 or so years.

I've had my Sigma for over 15 years now. It looks quite a lot like a Martin. In fact it's got Martin strings on in. Not Marquis though ;)

Archived