More questions on OM's and OOO'S. What are the real differences?

LDF

• Members

Yes I beleive they should offer the standard om-28. Maybe they will at some point in the near future.

On a related note, I finally received my om-21 a couple days ago. I like it very much. The only thing I would change is the fretboard. I prefer ebony, it's more smooth and playable.

Other than that the guitar is growing on me more every day. Whenever I pick it up the first thing I do is take a big wiff of the sound hole. The guitar smells so good! :)

• Members

Perhaps the most important construction different (besides the bracing) is the 000 (as 000s generally are) is short scale and the OM is long scale. BIG difference in the feel and sound because of this, whereas all the appointment differences between the 000 and OM won't have much affect on the sound (IMHO) What the heck does herringbone sound like anyway? :D

Originally posted by jknj

OK, just to clarify the difference in price between the OM28V and the 000-28:

• Members

Theoretically, the Vintage series use higher grades of wood than the Standard series. Believe it or not, there have been theories espoused that the extra cutting away of the top edge from herringbone and abalone inlaid models changes the tone for the better, but it is probably just the higher wood grade talking. The OM-21 is an amazing guitar, and is probably the best value in the entire Martin catalog for classic fingerstyle tone. On the Unofficial Martin Guitar Forum, they claim that the OM-21 is actually made somewhat lighter, using thinner top, side and back woods. Enjoy!

• Members

Originally posted by egordon99

Perhaps the most important construction different (besides the bracing) is the 000 (as 000s generally are) is short scale and the OM is long scale. BIG difference in the feel and sound because of this, whereas all the appointment differences between the 000 and OM won't have much affect on the sound (IMHO) What the heck does herringbone sound like anyway?
:D

Again, that of course being applicable to 14-fret instruments. In real terms there is no 14-fret 000, only long (and wide) and short (and narrow) scale OMs.

By the way, have you seen that 25.4" scale 12-fret clear on an OM-body model from Martin? I believe it's a signature model.

• Members

Originally posted by jknj
If Martin offered a standard OM-28, which I believe they used to, it would cost very close to the 000-28.

At Elderly's the OM-28 is ever so slightly more expensive than the 21. I doubt either of these will ever be priced closer to the 000-28 than they are today, anyway the difference in price between the 21 and the 28 will be about the same.

Archived