The "single mic" gig

dave251

• Members

Had a bit of an epiphany a month or so ago when I heard a bluegrass band using the "single mic" technique (actually one mic for everything but the string bass...it had it's own). Back to the roots...and it sounded wonderful.

So I had an opportunity last night to give it a shot. Used a pair of small EV mains, and a single 10" monitor. Mackie 408 box mixer...Two Mossman flattops and my gypsy guitar, alternated with my dobro and a nice Gibson F5. The bass, as near as the bassist and I could ascertain, is an ancient Kay.

Mics were a Samson C8 multi pattern condenser..set on cardioid, and an SM57 for the string bass. I think next time we'll use a kick drum mic for the bass....

The pa was set absolutely flat...no eq, just run the gain up. Since we were outside, feedback was not a problem. We were all totally amazed how well the "single mic" worked for four singers and three instrumentalists(that's not counting the bass). The Gitane cut through better than the flattops; I was told to "turn it down" more than once(I'm way too obnoxious for my own good)...

The clarity and presence of using the single mic has me sold. Easily the best live sound I've had using purely acoustic instruments. I don't think it will work well in a small club with noisy patrons; but outside, on a beautiful spring evening.....

We moved down the hill, and set up later with the "big rig", including the new eC amp...but that's another story.

• Members

I was thinking of trying something similar, except I was going to model it after what I've seen in pictures of Django's band: One mic front and center. I don't think it would work in a club though, witch is where we'd be playing.
I think the lead voc would be drowned out by someone ordering a beer, some compression would be nice too...But that's how they did it.
I wonder if the introduction of loud music in the '50s-'60s has changed the way people behave in clubs. rock-n-roll, juke box...

Singin'Dave has a thread about powered speakers that has me pretty much convinced.
when I scrape up some dough I'm gonna try one Yorkville nx550p, and a small mixer.

• Members

Django made it work in club settings, Jas. In some clubs, drinks were not served while the singer was singing. And I can easily imagine Edith Piaf bouncing a bottle off a patron's head if he got loud during her number...

• Members

Try using a small-diaphragm condensor... more consistent directional pattern than the large-diaphram mics everybody seems to be using these days.

One of these days I'm going to be building the prototype "big bluegrass mic" with a showy vintage body concealing a stereo pair of small-diaphragm capsules.

Archived