Satin vs. Glossy Lacquer Finish

Elements6259

• Members

I have been comparing some less expensive (by their standards) Martin guitars that have satin finishes, such as the D-15 among others.. and also playing lacquer finished Martins in the more $1,500 and up range.

A salesman was telling me that a glossy finish can help improve the sound in the aging process.

Although, I have tended to prefer the sound of new Martins with a satin finish.. and am somewhat partial to the satin look.

Would there be a great advantage to a lacquer finished guitar soundwise?

Will a satin finished guitar (solid wood) still have the same aging process?

Thanks all

- Nate

• Members

Good question!

In my experience, the satin finished guitars sound more "open" when new than their equivalent gloss finished counterparts. The satin finish is thinner and allows the wood to vibrate more. As far as opening up over time, both will improve tonally over time the more they're played. I'm not aware that the gloss finished guitars will sound better than their satin-finished counterparts once they are broken in, although that could be a possibility.

In Larrivee guitars for instance, many feel that the D-03 satin-finished models sound as good or better than the upper 09 or 10 series gloss finished models, at least initially. The gloss-finished ones may catch up eventually tonally, but no guarantee.

Again, these are my opinions and may vary significantly from others' experiences, so take that into account.

Jeff

• Members

what I understand is, gloss finishes keep getting harder with age, and therefore DO have an effect on the aging process.

Frankly though, I want a guitar that sounds good now. I don't want to wait 20 years.

I also like satin better than gloss.

Archived