String recommendations, please.

bullpencoach

• Members

I love Martin Silk and Steel folk strings, but they are a bit light for my new Larrivee. Can anyone recommend a heavier set that might give me some of the same qualities?

On another note - I have a noticeable lack of sustain on my 4th string. What adjustments can I make to try and correct this?

Thanks!

• Members

Try Martin Marquis 80/20 lights or mediums.
They're a little brighter, definitely crashier for the first hour or two, but they have higher tension than the silk & steel.
Silk & Steel are my favorite acoustic strings as well; light feel, easy on the fingers, and great tone.

• Members

...check to make sure the 4th string isn't getting pinched-out in the nut slot, or it could be the string ball not connecting with the bottom of the bridge (seated properly) .... try checkin' those out and see if it helps. :)

p.s. could just be a bad string too

• Members

4th string: Make sure the saddle is seated flat, makeing contact all the way across it's bottem in the slot. You may have to take it out and sand the bottem just a little to make it flat.

Is there a shim under it?

I've never tried silk and steel. What about just regular strings?

• Members

Thanks for the replies! I'll take a look at the saddle tonight. It's not just the string since I noticed the same thing when I bought the guitar, and that was 3-4 sets of strings ago.

Silk and steel may be my favorite strings, which initially I found odd since I normally play heavier guages. I do wish they came in a slightly higher guage...

Archived