Name Your Favorite Guitar to Play and Sing To

Promethius

• Members

Some acoustics sound fantastic--but they don't seem to want you to sing along with them. They're either too loud or not loud enough, too muddy, too lacking in midrange... I'm not sure what it is.

So which acoustic seems to blend perfectly with your voice? And which qualities do you think best create that? :confused:

• Members

Got this beat up old Boak guitar ( made by Dick Boak of Martin - think hes still with Martin ?) its basically a modified D-28 herringbone - has the pearl bird on the top- used in the 1976 bicentennial model ( Martin ) bought it at an auction about 20 years ago , ( luthiers meeting- in Nazareth P.A.) had to do alot of work on it, because it was a wreck when I got it- but the tone from that Guitar, makes you feel like a king when you play it- my second choice for my favorite is a Greven Guitar - white lady Jumbo- with birds flying up the neck and a Naked lady headstock- big sound , good picker guitar- I was playing it in a church about 20 years ago and i was asked to leave, thats how realistic the lady on the top of the neck is-

• Members

well i know exactly the distinction you're making... my hummingbird sounds amazing... but my Tak AN10 fits my voice better than anything i've played thus far. I would take a guess that the reason this is so is the cedar top, i love cedar tops and i think that the 'darkness' in tone suits my mellow voice better than spruce.

• Members
Originally posted by Cldplytkmn

well i know exactly the distinction you're making... my hummingbird sounds amazing... but my Tak AN10 fits my voice better than anything i've played thus far. I would take a guess that the reason this is so is the cedar top, i love cedar tops and i think that the 'darkness' in tone suits my mellow voice better than spruce.

That's interesting because I seem to be the opposite--bright guitars seem to suit my voice much better. I don't think my voice is THAT high.
:D

• Members

Knew a luthier who absolutely refused to allow people to sing while playing a guitar in his shop (he sold used guitars as well as his own acoustic creations). I debated with him for years about the necessity of allowing a person to find a guitar that complemented their voice. And of course to gather the required empirical data to make a choice of instrument, singing while playing was mandatory. He finally replied that as far as he knew there wasn't an acoustic guitar ever built that was inherently loud enough to adequately "complement" my singing voice. Unfortunately it took me some time to realize the validity of his statement and I can still hear my voice when I play.

Archived