• Members

Hi!

I like classic rock, blues and jazz.

What scales and modes should I learn first for:

1. Rock ?

2. Blues?

3. Jazz (very, very basic stuff)

Please help me! :confused:

(I know, I should have posted that in The Lesson Loft!)

• Members

Heres the deal. In order to play any form of music necessary, you should learn the most primitive diatonic system. I.e the major scale. the concept of modes/chord scales and all of music is derived from this.

the pattern is whole step, whole, half, whole, whole, whole, half.

this formula will yield the major scale.

starting on C, D, E, F, G, A, B, C.

Now, the concept of the modes is this, starting on the D the intervallic structure is different.

It would be the dorian mode starting on D.

so, from D it would be whole, half, whole, whole, whole, whole, half, whole.

then you begin to build triads and get chords. you should really find yourself a teacher so you can absorb all of this.

• Members

Originally posted by Herb Hunter

I vaguely remember reading somewhere that Chet Atkins didn't think learning scales was a good idea.

I've never learned them and don't want to. I just want to play music.

You might consider the possibility that learning some scales and other music theory might actually help you play even better than you do now.

• Members
Snork wrote:

Heres the deal. In order to play any form of music necessary, you should learn the most primitive diatonic system. I.e the major scale. the concept of modes/chord scales and all of music is derived from this.

Until that point I kwow it.

Snork wrote:

then you begin to build triads and get chords. you should really find yourself a teacher so you can absorb all of this.

I know a little bit about chords like how to build a major, minor or 7th chord on the piano.

On the guitar fretboard I can find the different positions for the minor and major pentatonic scales and I know that penta = 5, but that's about it!

I will take lessons in only a few months because of a major surgery in october. Because of the suture in the abdomen I will be stuck in the house mostly, not allowed to lift any weight (they said I could play guitar! :o )

What I want to learn is how to use those scales to build songs, how guitar players use them for different styles. I want to understand scales and modes instead of only knowing a few things by heart.

I guess I need a more advanced book or a link to a site to keep me busy during the convalescence. Any suggestion is appreciated!

• Members

The Bill Edwards Fretboard Logic books are decent. You need to be very patient - it took me a long time just to get through the first two books. His approach is a little different and is focused on the guitar fretboard - the idea is first you learn the various guitar chord shapes (caged system) and scale patterns and only after you have that stuff down do you move very gradually into the music theory side of it - modes, etc and only in book three (my next project) do you get into applying all the patterns and concepts in music. But I do think the entire program is the kind of thing you are looking for. There are others no doubt. This is just the one I have experience with.

Archived