cracking truss rod noise

chu2

• Members

so i pout some thicker strings on my Epi DR-200 and i tried cranking the truss rod a little (like a 1/4 turn) but every time I start to turn it i hear these cracking noises. It this normal? I may have only turned it 1/16 of the way around tops, probably less, before I got scared of seriously messing something up.

• Members

Loosen the strings before you turn the truss.

Sometimes even with loose strings it'll creak.

If it's realy hard to turn with the strings loose, don't force it.

If it's realy bad, a luthier will put it in a jig that holds it in position, then turn the truss. Sometimes they use steam to reshape them.

They also put oil "in" the truss so it'll move easily.

• Members

It sounds to me like the nut is grabbing the steel or brass block that it bears against.

Try putting a small dab of oil on the threads if you can. This should work its way down to the area where the nut contacts the metal block. Of course this would be much easier on a guitar with the truss-rod nut at the headstock as opposed to in the head block (inside the guitar body).

• Members

Another cause of truss rod cracking noises, especially on new guitars, is finish on the rod. The guitar body is often sprayed with finish while the truss rod cap is off, or there is bleed-through at the sound hole. The finish then dries in the threads on the rod and when you tighten the nut, the finish makes a cracking sound as the nut breaks it loose.

• Members

Originally posted by chu2

so i pout some thicker strings on my Epi DR-200 and i tried cranking the truss rod a little (like a 1/4 turn) but every time I start to turn it i hear these cracking noises. It this normal? I may have only turned it 1/16 of the way around tops, probably less, before I got scared of seriously messing something up.

Take the strings off, and back out the nut

Archived