Resonators - Regal or Johnson ????

acoustiholic

• Members

I'm just getting into metal-body slide blues and have been researching both these companies' products. I can't justify a National at this point so I'm focusing on the Regal 51 and the Johnson JM993.

Johnson has recently upgraded the cones to continental and also a bone nut and maple bridge.

Regal guitars have a long history but are now made in Asia while the Johnson's are either using Amistar from the Czech Republic or produced in the US and assembled overseas.

QUESTION: Who has tried both guitars and which do you feel is a better instrument?

Thanks!

• Members

I played both before buying and I ended up buy a Johnson Metal Body resonator with the wild rose pattern.

Johnson now is trying to take some of the Blueridge market and is trying to step up there instruments a little atleast thats what it appears to me.

I have mine still stock but plan on doing some mods when I get a chance, I will probably replace the cone and add some sort of mic or pickup for amplification. Its a nice guitar very heavy. The regal didnt feel as nice to me as the Johnson.

Archived