Carvin Cobalt C750T Impressions

krisnrg

• Members

Hey guys I just received my Carvin Cobalt C750T. It came in the mail with the hard case and the deluxe guitar strap I purchased with it.

I been playing guitar for like 7 years. I played like for 2 years never really practicing just knowing the basic chords and whatever songs my cousin taught me. Then I completely stopped for like 5 years.

Anyway I wanted to get a guitar that was entry level and was a good value, something decent. I started looking at some of the Ibanez acoustics cause my cousin gave me a beautiful electric Ibanez with a Floyd Rose tremolo. I went to GC and there was nothing I really liked. I played a really nice Takamine that I liked but the next time I went back it was gone. I went to a local guitar place to try out the Seagulls I really wanted a S6+GT but they didn't have any. They had a regular S6 but that didn't really impress me(might have been the old strings).

So I took a chance and ordered the Cobalt. According to my internet research it one of the better values out there (a least on paper). My first impression when it came in was that it was a solid well made guitar with the action a bit high for my taste.

This thing is loud and pretty bright, lacks a little bass. I really like the sound it makes when I solo, however when I strum a full chord it feels metallic not very clear a bit muddy a guess. I actually took it to compare it with the Seagulls and it was brighter and louder. It sounded just as good when the guy helping me played it. But when I play it feels weird, boxy and compressed. Keep in mind it feels this was strumming full chords.

This guitar came stock with Elixir nano webs. I had never played Elixirs before but I don't think I like them.

Could the Elixirs be giving my guitar that feel and sound?

That's one of my theories. I gonna go buy some Martin strings and see what the difference is.

Could someone that has played Elixirs comment one this. It would be of great help as I still have 4 days to send this guitar back.

• Members

I've had my C750 for a year and a half. Its a very good guitar for the price. I had to tweak the truss recently as the low humidity up here caught up with it. I use it for worship services plugged into the churches PA. My advice- keep the guitar and ditch the strings. Elixirs do not sound good on these guitars. I use Dean Markley

Acoustic Alchemy Phos- Bronze. Make this instrument sing.:)

• Members

Originally posted by krisnrg

Hey guys I just received my Carvin Cobalt C750T. It came in the mail with the hard case and the deluxe guitar strap I purchased with it.

I been playing guitar for like 7 years. I played like for 2 years never really practicing just knowing the basic chords and whatever songs my cousin taught me. Then I completely stopped for like 5 years.

Anyway I wanted to get a guitar that was entry level and was a good value, something decent. I started looking at some of the Ibanez acoustics cause my cousin gave me a beautiful electric Ibanez with a Floyd Rose tremolo. I went to GC and there was nothing I really liked. I played a really nice Takamine that I liked but the next time I went back it was gone. I went to a local guitar place to try out the Seagulls I really wanted a S6+GT but they didn't have any. They had a regular S6 but that didn't really impress me(might have been the old strings).

So I took a chance and ordered the Cobalt. According to my internet research it one of the better values out there (a least on paper). My first impression when it came in was that it was a solid well made guitar with the action a bit high for my taste.

This thing is loud and pretty bright, lacks a little bass. I really like the sound it makes when I solo, however when I strum a full chord it feels metallic not very clear a bit muddy a guess. I actually took it to compare it with the Seagulls and it was brighter and louder. It sounded just as good when the guy helping me played it. But when I play it feels weird, boxy and compressed. Keep in mind it feels this was strumming full chords.

This guitar came stock with Elixir nano webs. I had never played Elixirs before but I don't think I like them.

Could the Elixirs be giving my guitar that feel and sound?

That's one of my theories. I gonna go buy some Martin strings and see what the difference is.

Could someone that has played Elixirs comment one this. It would be of great help as I still have 4 days to send this guitar back.

your initial impressesions are the same as mine, and I've owned my 750 for about three years now. that is how the guitar sounds. i've experimented with different brands, different types of strings and it always has the same character. lack of low-end, boxy mids. those are not very "open" sounding instruments in my experience. if you're not happy with the way it sounds now, you probably never will be. and that's fine, it just means you're looking for a different sound.

i'd send it back. the honeymoon period is the time to be absolutely in love with the instrument, and then you hope that feeling stays. to be NOT happy with the instrument in the honeymoon period means that it's just not for you. Strings are strings... new ones rarely "transform" an instrument.

• Members

I have two days to sendit back. I think I will. I really don't know what kind of guitar i'l looking for or if it's even available for 500-600 bucks. I just want a balanced clean sound when strumming chords. Anything out there you guys might recomend.

• Members

I have two days to sendit back. I think I will. I really don't know what kind of guitar i'l looking for or if it's even available for 500-600 bucks. I just want a balanced clean sound when strumming chords. Anything out there you guys might recomend.

Epiphone Masterbilt - All solid wood construction, bone saddle and a bone nut. They make a couple different body styles.

You can pick up a all solid wood Guild in the $600 range (Bone saddle and a bone nut).

Another great choice is Blueridge - All solid wood construction, bone saddle and a bone nut.

Alvarez and Yamaha make some nice guitars in the $500 - $600 range.

The Canadian made Norman guitars are really nice.

If you are willing to raise your limit a bit, you could get a Martin D-15 or a Larrivee 03 series guitar. Both are exceptional buys in the $700 - $800 range.

• Members

i'm still looking, myself. :)

for $500-$600, i would check out one of the Epi Masterbuilts. check out the J45 and the Hummingbird/Dove copies. that will get you a lot closer to what you want. in particular I liked the DR500M.

• Members

Originally posted by macmoondoggie

I must have gotten lucky- my C750 opened up nicely and sounds very good. What more can I say- you like it you don't.

exactly! and chances are, you know in the first 5 minutes whether or not 'it's the one' or not. it doesn't take much thinking when you find one that's right for you. :thu:

Archived