Comparison

WRGKMC

• Members

Its worth bearing in mind ,that without folks taking time to provide info like this and genral advice goodwill,the rest of us would probably spend weeks trying to sort things out,get frustrated and probably go down the bar for a beer,result nothing would get done,this internet is a great tool,im supprised our governments havent banned it yet
:facepalm:

mind you im in europe,so they probably havent got the money to ban it
:rolleyes:

It's also worth bearing in mind that misinformation and bad information provided by folks with the best of intentions costs others' time, frustration and money that could have otherwise been spent down at the bar.

• Members

It's also worth bearing in mind that misinformation and bad information provided by folks with the best of intentions costs others' time, frustration and money that could have otherwise been spent down at the bar.

Fair comment Alan,but realy its down to the person doing the job to get the best information from sevral sources and then act on it,before carrying out any action or spending money i am not a muscian and my lad started playing guitar 4 years ago,at that point i didnt know an E string From a G string,i have had great help from this forum and the Marshall forum and i dare say not all of it will have been 100% acurate and i understand exactly what your saying,but without t advise i would probably have gone out and bought a USA strat for megga money in the EU, then bought a bloody arfull transistor amp and an even worst chineas copy pedal and then scratched my head as to why the strat sounded crap and wasted a lot of money .When we were apprentices in the 70,s we were told " if in doubt ask " followed by pick the "weat from the chaff ",anyway im off in the shed to repair some leads ,have a great day ,Steve in sunny Almeria spain :thu:

• Members

Well I'm getting older now and if you dont pass knowlege along what good is it.

There was a time I thought I'd capitolize on my passion for music and did

for several years in the musical instrument and amp repair business.

I quickly learned it was a dead end business that wasnt all that profitable.

Sure theres some who make a good business out of performing, recording, or in specialized repair.

Some are truely gifted and some are major hacks. The hype and fame in choosing that path wasnt

good enough for me. You can get through hard times living on dreams but you still need cash to pay

the bills when you have kids.

I dont have any regrets though because I took high tech jobs that taught me more about

digital then I would have ever learned as just being a bench tech. I've had jobs writing technical

manuals, Teaching, Video Production, Service management, and did more repairs than most do

in a lifetime. All the time having paycheck that allowd a little extra to invest into my music.

Manufacturers train you in the latest technologies so you stay up with the latest stuff going on

in the electronics field. Anything to do with music is like kindergarden stuff in comparison to me now.

It hasent been a bed of roses though, and havent lost sight on how rough it is for musicians to earn a living.

I just took my time building up what I got. I'd starve myself for weeks skipping lunch so I could buy a

better piece of gear I needed. I even had to sell everything I owned and start over several times and may

have to do it again, you never know. A musician who doesnt know poverty doesnt know about lifes truths.

I think the worst reality I faced was when I was sleeping in my truck during a blizzard, had no money or place to live.

I had hit rock bottom and had to climb back up and I took no charity in doing so. My pride is intact.

So being a Musicians is like being part of a brotherhood. The Marines have their thing as being life long soldiers,

musicians (at lest the experienced ones) have their thing too. Much more competetive but it still exists.

You have your bad apples like any field. Theres just as many assholes in big business as there are in the club

bands, but Being an asshole never gets anyone what they want in life. It has the opposite effect of driving others away.

I know now if I stuck to performing or musical technician work, I'd hate them both.

Theres no way I would have built up the studio I have now nor acquired the gear I have to work with.

Now that the kids are on they're own I devote my time to writing and recording my own music

and really enjoy it. I guess that hasnt changed in a good 40 years either because it was something I did

all the time I've played. I work with some really great performers who are pretty much into the same thing.

So I have no other secondary motives behind my passion other than enjoying it while I can this point.

When age overtakes me I'll have alot of good work to look back on.

Archived