Requinto--Say What?! You mean, "La Quinta"

Stackabones

• Members

No, I mean REQUINTO!!!

Just got this one ebay! Way below retail, way below street. I usually see 'em going for at least two or three times the price I paid!

For you requinto noobs (I was one until just a few days ago), it's just like a guitar but tuned up a fourth--A D G c e a. Kinda like putting a capo on the fifth fret of your guitar. Nylon strung, which I got a fresh pack of D'Addario's from juststrings.com.

The scale is about the same as a travel guitar, but the body is as thick as a regular-sized acoustic.

Love the sound. Can't stop playing it.

Just gotta find a case and maybe put some electronics in it so that I can use it live!!!

• Members

A word of caution re your requinto...although it will certainly tune up to the 4th step do not do it with regular nylon guitar strings...make sure you use strings made for the requinto and you'll never have the problem of a bridge becoming unattached. I used to service trio players' guitars when I had a music store and some used regular strings tuned to A and eventually had bridge, top and string height problems..Daddario, la bella and a few SA makers make them...in a pinch you could use 36-34-30-27-22-20

nylon strings. I have played the requinto for the last 10 years and, like yourself have a hard time putting it down...but then again I also love the cuatro a 10 string Puerto Rican instrument, but don't get me started on that!!

• Members

Thanks, Joe!

The maker I purchased is definitely a Lone Star, but I'm ony guessing it's a Del Rio--inside label doesn't specify. The seller didn't know much about it. He didn't even know if it was a requinto--listing said, "Requinto?"

The strings I purchased from juststrings.com are requinto strings!!! Got the D'Addario, though I saw about three or four other brands. Do you have a preference?

I'd love to get the chance to play in a trio, but I don't really know the music. So I'd have to find a sympathetic and patient 2/3's of a trio romantico.

I've heard about the cuarto. Pretty cool.

By the way, any recommendations on instruments or CDs or whatnot would be appreciated. Most of the stuff I've found online is retail or just very basic info.

• Members

The best types of music w/requinto I have heard are romantic trios e.g. Los Panchos, Los tres Ases,trio calaveras,los lobos etc...

Any trio from Puerto Rico, Mexico, Domminican Republic etc...

One of my students www.elamericanodelabachata.com, has some great batacha music of dominican-afro origin.

I've allways wondered why others haven't taken up this soulful, brilliant expressive instrument.

• Members

I love requintos, I'm on my second, a Manuel Remundo. My first was Lone Star Del Rio - really good guitar for the price. I bought the Lone Star used, from a guy in Nashville, who tuned it down to F#. I tried it in A, but it kept breaking strings - even with "Requinto" string sets. Anyway, I've settled on G and been very happy with that tuning.

• Members

Originally posted by Joe Vocht

Many people don't realize there are 2 types of 6 string requintos , one made to be tuned starting with g and the other with a. Most work real well tuned g . I'm attaching a pic of mine...Its a D.Garcia made in 1980.

There are many things I don't realize about the requinto, and I'm hungry for info. So ... how can you know if the requinto should be tuned, or is more suited, to g or a?

That D. Gracia is a beautiful instrument. Great score! If it sounds as good as it looks, you're the envy of all the requintists ... requintarists ... uh, requinto players in this forum!

• Members

well, one way to know is to go according to the manufacturer's recommendation, but I allways like to experiment, so, if you choose the G tuning and the bass strings kinda sound buzzy when struck in the middle go for the A tuning. Of course you can also tell by feeling the stretch of the strings e.g. if the tension seems too much and the sound (overly bright.)

Archived