Originally posted by Rada

:mad:

Martin Acoustics...Over priced, over hyped, muddy

Three of the worst qualities a guitar can have
:p;)

Hey,

Overpriced, can't argue

Over hyped, probably

My OM-21 doesn't sound like a National, but it sure as hell isn't muddy.

Maybe you should get a banjo:D

• Members
Originally posted by Dave W.

Hey,

Overpriced, can't argue

Over hyped, probably

My OM-21 doesn't sound like a National, but it sure as hell isn't muddy.

Maybe you should get a banjo:D

The muddy comment was geared more towards the dreads....but I've played the 00028C, OM-28V, J-40....none of them remotely caught my ear

I love banjos...thinking about getting one, but when it comes to acoustics I'll stick to Norman, Gibson and Guild :D

• Members

My heart is with Gibson, but those Martin dreds sound just like the guitar in my head. I spent Saturday morning at Elderly with a friend and his teenage son. The son was taken with the Taylor T5 (youth!). I sat in the corner with a truly sweet D-45. "Muddy" is not the word that came to mind.

• Members
Originally posted by Patric

My heart is with Gibson, but those Martin dreds sound just like the guitar in my head. I spent Saturday morning at Elderly with a friend and his teenage son. The son was taken with the Taylor T5 (youth!). I sat in the corner with a truly sweet D-45. "Muddy" is not the word that came to mind.

"overpriced"?

;)

• Members

I picked up a slightly used 2002 Guild D50CE a couple of years ago. It was probably one of the first few off the line at the Corona plant, and it is outstanding. Beautiful rich tone and excellent wood selection and construction. They moved US acoustic Guild production up to Tacoma, but this model is no longer made here.

• Members
Originally posted by Rada

A jumbo MUST be maple, my friend!

;)

Only if you use it in a band, as maple won't have enough bottom to get in the way of your bass player...solo, you need that bottom-end, and if, like myself, you play both solo AND w/ a band, it's easier to turn down "bottom" that's there than create "bottom" where there isn't enough.

Mahogany/sapele gives you the best of both worlds, although koa or bubinga is nice, too...rosewood is often too much of a good thing, when amplified.

• Members

My '79 Guild F412 sounds like an orchestra. Although, I liked the grand piano comparison. Hands down the best 12'er I've ever heard. All in all, it is worth the hunt and money to own one and if there are reservations about Fender, right or wrong, it will affect how your impression and enjoyment of the guitar. Just go for the the pre-F Guild.

• Members

I sold a B20-12 not too long ago. The neck was a bit clunky for me and the action just couldn't be put where I like it - maybe because I was already put off by the neck size/shape. It was spruce over cherry lam B/S. Great looking guitar and also very bright sounding.

I agree with TAH's comments about bottom end, or lack thereof, with the F412. It can be improved upon to some degree - tuning down and good thumbpick technique, but that isn't what Maple does very well.

• Members

Well, for what it's worth, I have a Fender Guild. The F50 to be exact. I love it. It has great sound, tone, its well made, I have no complaints. I get numerous compliments on how great it sounds and people love to play it. I don't think you can go wrong with a new Guild. I've played the D55 as well. I hope to make that my next purchase. Thats just my 2 cents worth. :thu:

Archived