Alvarez Masterworks MD95 ???

BAZGUITARMAN

• Members

Guys, I`m looking for a good all solid wood dreadnought and I stumbled on this offering by Alvarez. The model # is MD95. It has the specs I`m interested in and also is cosmetically pleasing.

My question is this. Does any one have any experience with this model? Or any of the Masterworks models? Also are there any other high quality solid wood dreadnoughts in the $900.00-$1,000 price range. I`m open to suggestions.

These are the specs that I want...

* top- solid spruce

* back & sides- Solid rosewood

* neck- mahogany

* electronics- optional

* cosmetics- I want the guitar to look special, but not too much. The MD95 has abalone soundhole and tree of life fretboard inlay. Just enough, but not too much.

Thanks,

Eric

P.S.- Here`s a pic to check out. As you can see, it`s a very nice looking guitar.

md95.jpg

• Members

Honestly,

Don't think the upperend Alvarez are that great, I have a laminate RD8 which is nice, but for that much money, consider a Taylor 210, $749, solid sapele sides, solid spruce top and ebony fretboard includes hc case

Jim

• Members

Honestly, Sapele is more of a mahogany sound, but Chinese made acoustics with Rosewood really don't give you that deep sound. I would rather have an American made solid wood for less than 1000 than a Chinese.

Another option is the Martin D-16GTR

Think that is around 1000 and real rosewood.

I played a Blueridge BR-160 solid wood with rosewood sides and back, had a bright feel to it.

Check this out

http://www.music123.com/Martin-D16RGT-Acoustic-Guitar-i63936.music

Jim

• Members

Hey. I own an ALvarez MF80C. That's a Masterworks guitar in the 000 or folk size, with a cutaway and the 600T electronics. I run mine with an add-on I-Beam pickup from LR Baggs, which is beautiful. Sometimes I use an Alvarez single coil sound hole magnetic instead of the LR Baggs. The 600T electronics supports a second plug for a second pickup, and has volume controls for it right on the control panel. I also like the tuner built in to the 600T electronics.

I'd prefer a rosewood body, and I'm not sure if the Masterworks line offers one. I love this guitar in all other ways, besides not having the rosewood body.

I especially love the beautiful maple wood binding on the front, back and heel. I've had the guitar for 3 or 4 years. Alvarez replaced the entire instrument after I had a crack appear near the electronics panel after a year. They seem to take their warranty seriously.

Good luck.

• 6 months later...
  • Members

I use to own an Alvarez MD95 with the beautifull tree of life neck inlays and I can honestly say that beautifull is all it was. The sound was very week, nice but not loud at all and the playability was quite restricted so I ended up selling it. I have owned and tried several makes of guitars over the years, some of very good quality and in the six hundred dollar range I just played a Blueridge 160 at a music store that impressed me very much. It beats that Alvarez MD95 no contest. All I can say is play the guitars you like side by side in the store to really hear the differences before you buy.

• 6 months later...
Guest Anonymous

Originally posted by BAZGUITARMAN

My question is this. Does any one have any experience with this model? Or any of the Masterworks models? Also are there any other high quality solid wood dreadnoughts in the $900.00-$1,000 price range. I'm open to suggestions.

Definitely, go for it ! It oozes with sublime tone and resonance. I swapped out the factory saddle and nut, which were solid, in favor of bone versions. Wow ! Great became superlative. Dave Neely of Neely Guitars in Hollywood, the authorized warranty/repair tech for Gibson and Fender, did a top-notch job. He's an institution on Sunset Boulevard. He then installed the best aftermarket non-piezo pickup system around ~ a B-Band UST (under saddle transducer) and A1 endpin preamp. More wow ! Bottom line ? The MD95 is the best (non-Yairi) Alvarez dreadnought sold today. Something about that maple body and fretboard binding really adds a touch of class to the look.

St. Louis Music and now LOUD Technologies, parent company of Alvarez Guitars, don't market themselves like the big Kahunas. You know who they are. The made-in-China MD95 precipitated the sale of my made-in-Bozeman Gibson J185-EC "Blues King Electro," their top-of-the-line jumbo acoustic-electric. Frankly, Alvarez build quality, sound, tone, resonance, and fair pricing exceeded that of Gibson.

Look at it this way. Yes, comparisons can be misleading because of their inherent subjectivity and inevitable apples-to-oranges metaphors. But you have to start somewhere. First, establish what you want to spend. Second, list specs that appeal to you. Third, compare. Go to G.C. if you must to browse a larger inventory but try not to buy it there ! Sorry 'bout that. For philosophical reasons, I'd rather buy from a brick-and-mortar, independent shop. The industry was founded on their backs (e.g., service, knowledge, expertise) and we should not lose sight of that fact. Fourth, compare more expensive models to the guitar that's caught your eye and soul, taking care to check out build quality and specs. Ask questions. If the cat doesn't know, get someone who can provide answers. Fifth, ask yourself this question: What is the cost:value ratio ? In other words, what value am I really getting for spending this much more on the higher-priced guitar ?

I recently went through such an experience with a fellow teaching buddy of mine. He used to teach classical and acoustic guitar at Gonzaga University in Spokane, Washington. I write this just to let you know the guy knows a lot about playing and about classical and acoustic guitars in general. He wanted to buy an acoustic steel-string. Now, he's played my Alvarez MD95, MD80-12 (12-string), and AD80SSB. The AD80SSB ? Man, I lucked out big-time and got one that's sublime. The price was terribly inexpensive ~ can't get one new now for what I paid. I had Dave Neely replace the nut and saddle with bone and installed the B-Band UST-A1 setup. My teaching buddy still had the sound and resonance of the AD80SSB in his head from 30 minutes earlier when he drags me kicking and screaming into G.C. on Sunset. We head down to the cellar where sits all sorts of Martins, Gibsons, Taylors, blah, blah, blah. We play the lower-end versions.

Buddy: Are you sure this is a Martin ? Well, I'll be.... (frowns).

Buddy: Hmmm, Taylor, huh ? (frown stays)

Buddy: Gibson, eh ? It sounds maybe a tad bit better but really no difference. They don't even come close to your Alvarez.

G-foot: Uhhh, maybe the strings are worn. (We check out the strings.)

Buddy: Nope.

We look at the mid-range priced models of all three makers. Same thing. We go to higher-end models. Sort of the same thing but things are beginning to sound somewhat better.

Buddy: Oh, now I get it. It's like teaching our 5th-graders. You know, it's that sliding scale idea -- as our kids progress to the next grade level they know less and less so that by 9th grade they won't know a thing !

G-foot: (Chuckles)

Buddy: The more the price increases, the worse the cost:value ratio becomes.

G-foot: (Laughs)

Buddy: Your Alvarezes, I mean every one of them, sound and resonate better than anything we've played in here.

G-foot: C'mon, let's book on outta here.

Labels....get caught up in 'em or simply trust your better instincts and buy what looks, feels, and sounds great to your eyes, fingers, and ears.

Hope this helps. Best regards....Goofyfoot (a decompressing teacher).

• Members

Originally posted by Goofyfoot

Definitely, go for it ! It oozes with sublime tone and resonance. I swapped out the factory saddle and nut, which were solid, in favor of bone versions. Wow ! Great became superlative. Dave Neely of Neely Guitars in Hollywood, the authorized warranty/repair tech for Gibson and Fender, did a top-notch job. He's an institution on Sunset Boulevard. He then installed the best aftermarket non-piezo pickup system around ~ a B-Band UST (under saddle transducer) and A1 endpin preamp. More wow ! Bottom line ? The MD95 is the best (non-Yairi) Alvarez dreadnought sold today. Something about that maple body and fretboard binding really adds a touch of class to the look.

St. Louis Music and now LOUD Technologies, parent company of Alvarez Guitars, doesn't market themselves like the big Kahunas. You know who they are. The made-in-China MD95 precipitated the sale of my made-in-Bozeman Gibson J185-EC "Blues King Electro," their top-of-the-line jumbo acoustic-electric. Frankly, Alvarez build quality, sound, tone, resonance, and fair pricing exceeded that of Gibson.

Look at it this way. Yes, comparisons can be misleading because of their inherent subjectivity and inevitable apples-to-oranges metaphors. But you have to start somewhere. First, establish what you want to spend. Second, list specs that appeal to you. Third, compare. Go to G.C. if you must to browse a larger inventory but try not to buy it there ! Sorry 'bout that. For philosophical reasons, I'd rather buy from a brick-and-mortar, independent shop. The industry was founded on their backs (e.g., service, knowledge, expertise) and we should not lose sight of that fact. Fourth, compare more expensive models to the guitar that's caught your eye and soul, taking care to check out build quality and specs. Ask questions. If the cat doesn't know, get someone who can provide answers. Fifth, ask yourself this question: What is the cost:value ratio ? In other words, what value am I really getting for spending this much more on the higher-priced guitar ?

I recently went through such an experience with a fellow teaching buddy of mine. He used to teach classical and acoustic guitar at Gonzaga University in Spokane, Washington. I write this just to let you know the guy knows a lot about playing and about classical and acoustic guitars in general. He wanted to buy an acoustic steel-string. Now, he's played my Alvarez MD95, MD80-12 (12-string), and AD80SSB. The AD80SSB ? Man, I lucked out big-time and got one that's sublime. The price was terribly inexpensive ~ can't get one new now for what I paid. I had Dave Neely replace the nut and saddle with bone and installed the B-Band UST-A1 setup. My teaching buddy still had the sound and resonance of the AD80SSB in his head from 30 minutes earlier when he drags me kicking and screaming into G.C. on Sunset. We head down to the cellar where sits all sorts of Martins, Gibsons, Taylors, blah, blah, blah. We play the lower-end versions.

Buddy: Are you sure this is a Martin ? Well, I'll be.... (frowns).

Buddy: Hmmm, Taylor, huh ? (frown stays)

Buddy: Gibson, eh ? It sounds maybe a tad bit better but really no difference. They don't even come close to your Alvarez.

G-foot: Uhhh, maybe the strings are worn. (We check out the strings.)

Buddy: Nope.

We look at the mid-range priced models of all three makers. Same thing. We go to higher-end models. Sort of the same thing but things are beginning to sound somewhat better.

Buddy: Oh, now I get it. It's like teaching our 5th-graders. You know, it's that sliding scale idea -- as our kids progress to the next grade level they know less and less so that by 9th grade they won't know a thing !

G-foot: (Chuckles)

Buddy: The more the price increases, the worse the cost:value ratio becomes.

G-foot: (Laughs)

Buddy: Your Alvarezes, I mean every one of them, sound and resonate better than anything we've played in here.

G-foot: C'mon, let's book on outta here.

Labels....get caught up in 'em or simply trust your better instincts and buy what looks, feels, and sounds great to your eyes, fingers, and ears.

Hope this helps. Best regards....Goofyfoot (a decompressing teacher).

Goofyfoot- Thanks for the reply and the PM heads up. I recently tried a NOS MD95 at my local dealer. I looked it over very, very well and was impressed by the build quality. The fit and finish was great. The gloss finish was suprisingly thin. I was very pleased with that as I am a firm believer in thinner finishes on acoustics. I also liked the maple binding and the fretboard inlay was well done with no excess filler.

The tone was typical rosewood dreadnaught. Honestly I found it a little boomy in the low end, but the guitar had old strings on it and they certainly felt dead. I did take that into consideration, but it wasn`t a huge factor. I actually would rather get the MD90C which is the same guitar, but in a cut away dreadnaught shape. I think the cutaway would help balance the bottom end and tighten it up a little. I went ahead and priced the MD90C and got a great deal on it. I think it helped that I was at the store to pick up the Ibanez I had just bought and payed cash for. :thu:

The Alvarez is definitaly in the lead right now. I can`t find any solid wood acoustics with the features I want and a price that beats the Alvarez. For me it seems to be the best "package" in an all solid wood acoustic/electric. One of the great feature IMO is the pre-amp being factory set up to accept a condensor mic. I like simple electronics and being able to buy a matched mic that is made for the System 600T II is a plus for me. The truth is I don`t play pure acoustic that much. I use acoustic for intros and breakdowns in my heavy songs in order to lend a bigger dynamic to the songs. Much like Metallica made popular in the 80`s with Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets. I plan on using an acoustic amp for the majority of my recording and playing and the piezo/condensor set up should work out great for that.

I also tried an Alvarez Jumbo cutaway with a spruce top and plain maple back/sides. I can`t remember the model #, but the guitar sounded fantastic. Giant thick sound and very easy to play. I was impressed with all the Alvarez acoustics that I tried. My dealer is an Alvarez fanatic. He`s been selling Alvarez for years and uses them for his personal instruments and in the recording studio he owns and runs. He does a lot of country, bluegrass and folk music in the East Tenn. area and has been a musician for almost 50 years. He`s a very good multi instrumentalist and knows quality guitars. He also carries Tayler, Martin, Takamine, Gretch and Ibanez acoustics. He prefers Alvarez over all those brands. It`s very convincing when a man who is a pro musician tries to sell you a less expensive guitar rather than make profit off of more expensive guitars.

Thanks,

Eric

Guest Anonymous

Bazguitarman: Yes, the Alvarez 600T MKII preamp/EQ is sweet. The fact that the auxiliary condensor mic, which is included in the system, can plug right into the preamp input makes it convenient and efficient. When I ordered my MD80-12 from Alvarez I opted for the 600T MKII. It didn't disappoint me then and it hasn't yet. For your purpose, using it to play an intro to a Metallica song sounds pretty cool.

I usually plug my Alvarezes into my SWR California Blonde acoustic amp for that really transparent sound. Of course, they sound more electric when I hook 'em up to my Mesa/Boogie Subway Blues or Rivera Chubster 40. Either way, the Alvarez system holds it own, especially when compared to Fishman. But I have to tell you, the B-Band UST + A1 setup sparkles even more so than the 600T MKII. I've never heard anything like it. It has no EQ but hey, I just adjust the knobs on my amps and away we go. (You can get onboard controls but sawing a hole into the side after the fact...? I don't know about that.) It was one of the best $260 investments (parts + labor) I've ever made with musical instruments. As I mentioned earlier, I had Dave Neely install the system in both my MD95 and AD80SSB.

Keep pluggin' away, Bazguitarman. A lot of the fun is in the search.

Play on, play often....Goofyfoot

• Members

I hear you guys, but there`s a problem. I`ve fallen in love with another guitar. This time it`s a Yairi WY1k. An all koa cut-away folk style acoustic/electric. I love koa so much. It`s my dream wood, but I never thought I could get it at this low a price range. MF has it with HSC for $1,649.99 and I know my local guy will beat that. He hates MF with a passion. Not only will he help me, but he`ll do it just to spite MF.

Anyway, here`s a link for the guitar and a pic

Thanks,

Eric

http://www.alvarezgtr.com/productpage.htm?CatID=34&ItemID=145

WY1K.gif

Archived