Strat Build AND Questions

jpacman

• Members

Hello, I am going to be doing some mods to my squier strat to make it playable, and look a little nicer. I've got loads of time, and my labor is free. I've got my Gibson which is a lot nicer, so I won't cry for days if I somehow screw up this guitar. As it is right now, it isn't playable for me. It sounds bad and the strings are too close together, plus the one of the previous owners tore up the back pretty good, and for some reason there is a small chunk of wood missing from the control cavity. I was a sucker for buying it, and I know I couldn't make any money off of it if I tried to sell it.

I figure this is a good axe to experiment with.

I've got the body apart, and I am going to refinish it and do some other CHEAP mods. If the body wood is in good enough shape, I will just stain the wood. Other plans include a new loaded pickguard, and a fender strat spec bone nut (to help with string spacing). I read on a Squier forum that I can get a bone nut from allparts that has Fender Strat spec string spacing (squier 41.9mm vs fender 44mm). If anyone has comments or anything against that statement, please let me know. There is a chance that the e-string will be too far over, but its a risk I can take for 5 bucks.

Can anyone say if these would sound better than the stock squier pickups?? They are cheap, so I am prepared for bad news.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Loaded-Prewired-Pickguard-Black-3ply-SSH-Stratocaster-/280830182276?

pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item4162c88384#ht_3159wt_1031

(really liking this one... I would need to route out the bridge cavity. No big deal...)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Loaded-Pickguard-pickups-Fender-Stratocaster-Guitar-/230560587823?pt=AU_Instrument_Accessories&hash=item35ae7b602f#ht_2859wt_1139

I am aware that the affinity series isn't a particularly great guitar. But the situation is what it is, and things like a bone nut and a loaded pickguard are things that I could transfer to a new instrument anyways, right?

Sorry for the long post, here are some PICTURES!!!. now excuse me while I go study the ReRanch website...

th_IMG_0075-1.jpg

th_IMG_0082.jpg

th_IMG_0080.jpg

th_IMG_0078.jpg

th_IMG_0077.jpg

th_IMG_0083.jpg

• Members

44mm = 1.73+ or close to 1&3/4". Something ain't working with that as 1&11/16" is a pretty wide nut. 41.9 is close to the traditional 1.650 that Fender necks usually are. Are you sure of those measurements? Check to see how wide the neck is at the nut before going any further. Chances are good it's 42mm. Standard string spacing on precut Fender nuts is 1&3/8" regardless of total nut width. Cutting a custom nut may be the answer. Any pre slotted nut will need work anyway. I've yet to see one that is a drop in. Cutting your own nut isn't difficult but requires special tools which ain't exactly cheap.

• Members

I could'be swore I saw that number somewhere. I must be wrong though.... I'm on the phone, but ill look that up again once I get back on the computer. I apologize for my error :) Either way, I need the strings to be further apart. I may just have to deal with it though, as the guitar isn't really worth the money to have one made... If the tools were cheap enough, I could justify doing it myself as a learning experience

Archived