Guild Madeira Guitars - why so long under the radar???

smack123

• Members

I own a Madeira A-30M and after discovering this site, find that I'm in good company. I have never tried another guitar south of $1200 that could compare. Unfortunately, it's IMPOSSIBLE to find a single source of information on these beauties. Fender (who now owns Guild) has NOTHING other than the Guild Guitar book in terms of historical info. Most everything I've discovered I've learned from this site and eBay.

Does anyone know where I can find catalogs, price lists etc. from this Guild economy line--which apparently was most active in the seventies and early eighties? I'm trying to figure out if one era was better than another--how an A-9 differed from an A-30--or how an A-25 differed from an A-30 for that matter. I see quite a variety of headstocks and I'd love to get them in chronological order. I'd also be happy to pick someone's brain who perhaps dealt with these models in the 70's and 80's--either via this forum, email or even on the telephone and I'll take notes!

If you check out the review section of this site, you'll find 12 reviews of the Madeira A-30M (many more than any other model of Madeira)--most sharing the same experience I've had. If you have an information at all or even a possible lead to some info, I'd be eternally grateful. Thanks!

• 10 years later...
  • Members

Resurrect: I know this is an old post. I found it while looking into my own recently acquired Madeira A-30M. I found answers to the questions asked. A Madeira by Guild catalog can be found here: https://aoxoa.co/items/madeira-guild-catalog-1975-price-list/ In the catalog you'll find out lots of details about particular models. Like what type of wood was on the fretboard, bridge, whether it had a semi-solid top, etc...

The A-30M cost twice as much as the A-9. Chronological info on the headstocks and other great info can be found here: https://aoxoa.co/madeira-guild-acoustic-guitar/ in what i consider the best source yet on Madeira by Guild.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Guild enthusiasts don;t seem to think much of the Madeira line. Not sure why. I play in a trio with a guy who has one and is sounds really good. I have a couple of Guilds but know next to nothing about Madeira. I have played some of Guild's recent MIC guitars and was not overly impressed. Have not tried any of the new Oxnard, CA Guilds.

Archived