Orpheus Guitars

Blue6string

• Members

Has anybody out there heard of Orpheus guitars?

I recently acquired what was sold as, and looks to be, a parlour guitar, by Orpheus (the name is on the headstock and also on a label in the body). It has a trapeze-type tail and a floating bridge (which is why I think it is a parlour and not a child's guitar). The previous owner thought it was from the 50s but had no other information.

Anything would be of interest and help. Cheers :thu::wave:

• Members

Hi Freeman, and thank you for the welcome, very neighbourly of you.

I checked the review section for info on Orheus when I was buying the guitar, but only found the Orpheum that you indicated. I did a Google search, and aside from learning about the Greek mythology of Orpheus (some dude who was into music!), I got very little on the manufacturer. There were one or two hints that they may have been an American company of the 1950s - which tied in with what the seller of my guitar was able to tell me.

It's frustrating not knowing any more detail, but perhaps that's just how it's going to be.

Maybe there's someone else out there who knows a little more?

:) ,

guess I'll have to be patient :confused:

Thanks again though.

• Members

The orpheum label has been passed around more than a red-headed stepkid! At one time they were and actually still are a heck of a banjo maker. The current Orpheums are built in China and/or Indonesia. Tacoma used to market them, but they have nothing to do with building them. I have seen everything from really nice models to models that should be used for kindling.

• Members

Thanks BigMo, and respect for the USMC (ex British Army myself - we could do beer and tall tales sometime!).

I'm still no further forward with my quest though folks - what about Orpheus as a guitar maker? I'll try and get a picture of the little darlin' posted up when I can - see if that helps. Meantime, if anyone knows anything . . .

Archived