Assad Bros Review

Stackabones

• Members

Posted this on another board, but it got no love whatsoever. I thought I'd give a go here!

I saw the Assad Brothers last night at Caruth Auditorium at SMU in Dallas. Incredible show! The auditorium seats about 450, and it was just over half full.

This is the set list, and it also has the date for the next performance over in Ft Worth.

I really enjoyed the Piazzolla, Villa-Lobos & Gismonti pieces, especially Gismonti's "Infancia." The first set ended with an original piece written by Sergio Assad--exotic, oud-like piece with dumbeck pattern drummed on the faces of their guitars. The Dyens piece in the second set was a bit of a letdown, but that was the only low point. They ended the evening with an original work, which I think was entitled "Farewell" (it was difficult to hear them speak, no mics--though the guitars projected well enough in the room). That last piece had a lullaby-like quality and was a gorgeous, meditative ending to an excellent night.

Sharon Isbin & Carlos Barbosa-Lima will be here in the next few months, and I'm making plans to be at those concerts!

• Members

I have a ticket for tomorrow night's show in Fort Worth. Can't wait to see them. I saw them last time they were in town. They were at Bass Hall, and I swore to see them every time they come to town for the rest of my life. Little did I know that it would be several years before they came back, but here they are. Did I mention I can't wait?

I saw Sharon Isbin the last time she came through. The show was at the Modern in Fort Worth. She has the best left hand classical vibrato I've ever heard. I'm not going to see her this time, but I'm sure you'll enjoy the show!

• Members

Hey, Stackabones! No, I didn't go to the Meet & Greet, but it would have been nice. I loved the show last night at the Scott Theater in Fort Worth. The Sergio Assad original with the unpronouncable name "Tyyhhiia Li Ossoulina" was the highlight for me. It included a lot of percussion on the guitar tops and just blew the whole audience away. I looked at their CDs to see if it was on any of them, but it wasn't ... I don't think they've recorded it yet.

I enjoyed the Dyens piece that you felt was a letdown. I also liked the Villa-Lobos and the Piazzolla.

The first time I saw them, they did that trick where they both play the same guitar with 4 hands. They didn't do it last night, but I'll live.

I've been watching them this morning on YouTube. Several videos there with Yo-Yo Ma. One video of Badi Assad (I think she's their sister ... I used to think she was one of their daughters).

Oh, and they had amplification at the Scott Theater. One of them used a microphone to introduce each piece. They never introduced themselves. I'm thinking that the one who did the introductions, the one with the short hair, is Sergio, and the one with the long hair is Odair. Do you know, Stackabones?

• Members

I think Odair is the younger one with the longer hair. Good thing they used the mic to introduce pieces. At the Caruth Auditorium show, it seemed as if only the first two rows heard everything they said!

By the way, I emailed The Unofficial Assad Home Page to ask about that new original piece (I couldn't find it listed) and to see if our ID is correct!

Let you know of any results!

Archived