Yam FG-412 Worth Re-setting?

Sweb

• Members

No doubt. This guy has had this guitar quite a few years and really loves 12 string. I thought if there was an outside chance of getting it playable I would. He has some emotional ties to it and babbles about not having taken better care of it. I gave him my '73 Guild F-412, which I inherited and never played, and he treats it better than his beer. That's saying something for him.

• Members

Obviously you can sand the saddle down until the action is acceptable, but you loose the break angle, volume, etc, which is really important on a 12. If it is a total basket case some people have been known to shave the bridge to get a little more saddle sticking out - obviously if you ever do want to set the neck you'll also need to replace the bridge. Shaving the bridge is, imho, a hack job, and you can end up with it so weak that it splits.

As a budding luthier-to-be I would relish the opportunity to practice neck resets on an instrument that would otherwise be unplayable. You might be able to find someone like that in your area - payment might be a six pack of microbrew. (I've actually proposed to StewMac that they make a "practice" neck and block out of fir so we can hack away at something other than a vintage Martin).

Try calling local repairmen or luthiers and see if they have any apprentices.

Archived