Woah. (John Jorgenson)

EvilTwin

• Members

I want wine! Dancing women! Wagons around a campfire! More wine!

That was excellent. I watch this and wonder how much excellent music from around the world is lost to us because of the illness that is the music industry.

• Members

I watch this and wonder how much excellent music from around the world is lost to us because of the illness that is the music industry.

Well, to be fair, while the record industry probably could be better, millions of records, from all genres and from all over the world are actually available. It's also up to you to do your homework.

If you liked the clip, you might want to check out, for example "Band of Gypsies" by Taraf de Haidouks (Romania), or "Bulgarian wedding music from the last century", by Trifon Trifonov & Stanimaka, or "Bucovina Club" by Shantel (a compilation of tunes from the Balkans, Romania, etc)....

East-European/Balkan/Gypsy music is pretty popular these days (at least in Europe), probably thanks to Emir Kusturica' movies and their soundtracks by Goran Bregovic, so good records actually abund on the market.

It's a great time indeed, when you can get CDs of music from virtually any country or ethnic group on the planet, without even leaving your desk. :thu:

• Members

Well, to be fair, while the record industry probably could be better, millions of records, from all genres and from all over the world are actually available. It's also up to you to do your homework.

If you liked the clip, you might want to check out, for example "Band of Gypsies" by Taraf de Haidouks (Romania), or "Bulgarian wedding music from the last century", by Trifon Trifonov & Stanimaka, or "Bucovina Club" by Shantel (a compilation of tunes from the Balkans, Romania, etc)....

East-European/Balkan/Gypsy music is pretty popular these days (at least in Europe), probably thanks to Emir Kusturica' movies and their soundtracks by Goran Bregovic, so good records actually abund on the market.

It's a great time indeed, when you can get CDs of music from virtually any country or ethnic group on the planet, without even leaving your desk.
:thu:

Good point. Great point actually. I guess it's easy to blame the record industry for shoving so much crap out there and telling ourselves that it's too much work to seek out lesser-known quality music. I am a bit lazy when it comes to that (hangs head and sniffs...).

I will definitely check out some of your suggestions. Much appreciated.

• Members

Nice clip. He's got a signature Gypsy Jazz guitar. He also has a DVD method for this style of music.

Has anyone seen that movie where he makes a cameo as Django? Can't recall the title ...
:confused:

"Head in the Clouds" with Charlize Theron and Penelope Cruz. It tries to be an art house film, but just isn't as odd or quirky as it needs to be. It's worth it to watch Jorgenson, though. He cut his hair down and died it, and had makeup put on his hand to make it look scarred (plus plays the solos with two fingers).

Archived