Another FG150 tune

daklander

• Members

I sat down the other night and put this tune onto tape, Reunion, a great tune by Jo Carol Pierce and Harry Porter. I kinda re-wrote the tuneage, melody, from when I first heard it by Jimmie Dale Gilmore.

I recorded this in one take into my Sony TC-D5 Pro II cassette recorder so please excuse the clams. Yes, a cassette recorder. From there I imported to my Linux computer into Audacity to get a WAV file. The setup was simple. A Digital Reference instrument mic on the guitar, somewhere around the twelfth fret about 8 or 10 inches away and angled toward the soundhole for the left channel. The right channel was my main vocal mic, a Carvin CM68, over my right shoulder and pointed down toward the body of the guitar, the old Yamaha FG150.

The only thing done to the recording, once a WAV file, was a leveling of the two channels because the left was lower than I liked and removal of the floor-noise level. That file was then normalized to -6dB and converted to mp3. Nothing more. No compression, eq, nor effects of any kind.

• Members

Nice! That old FG-150 sounds great. I really like your voice - you sound just like Guy Clark. I was also amazed at how good the recording sounds. By the way, what are "clams?"

Thanks Baba...Yeah, that old cigar box does sound good. I do appreciate your comments.

"Clams" are playing errors, hit the wrong note here, not enough sustain on a note, & etc.

Archived