Dead spots?

pikappant82

• Members

Ok, I've just noticed that I'm getting some dead spots on my guitar around the 13th and 14th fret. I'm thinking it might have been caused when I had it shipped here to myself. I'm deployed to Japan, so it took over a month to get here. I did soak a humidifier and put it in the case. But I know those things aren't made to do the job for that period of time. But what else could I do? Any other ideas? And is this easily fixed by neck adjustment? I wouldn't dare try to adjust it myself. I work on electronics, not delicate woods. I only know where one guitar store is around here, and I sure hope they know how to deal with this, or at least speak english to refer me somewhere that I can find.

• Members

If it didn't have the problem before you shipped it and does now you are probably right about humidity. Here are some of the other symptoms

http://www.larrivee.com/flash/features/education/humidity/humidity.html

Don't try to correct the problem until you know the humidity is right (and stable) - it might take two or three weeks. A couple of home made humidifiers (one at the headstock and one inside the git) can do wonders.

http://www.bryankimsey.com/humdifier/index.htm

Once you are sure it is OK, my Sick Guitar sticky will guide you thru the measurements, and a link at the end to "What to do about my sick guitar" will help you fix it. But it will most likely fix itself.

• Members

Thanks for that article. Very helpful. You know, after reading that, it could even be something as simple as the humidity in this barracks room here. It is usually so hot because they are always blasting the heat. So I normally keep my window cracked to let in lots of cool air. And lately I've kept my guitar out of the case and on a stand. I'll try putting it back in the case and see what happens. It's just so much easier keeping it out. I'm more likely to pick it up and play it all the time if its on the stand.

• Members

When I made my first guitar I was so proud of it I left it out on a stand (in a house heated with central HVAC which really drys the air). Within a month the top finish had little wavey lines, the ends of the frets were sharp and the action had gone to hell (with some buzzy frets like you describe). It now sleeps in its case with one of those little sponge things for a pillow - and plays perfectly.

Keep us posted and good luck (with both your git and your deployment).

Archived