Upgrade to a new guitar....I'm thinking Gibson

pikappant82

• Members

Ok, so here's a question. I "SHOULD" be returning stateside in June. And if so, I'm planning on having the chunk of cash to put into a high end piece of art like a Gibson. Thing is, where I'm stationed (Maine) the stores don't carry much of a selection. I've looked and the closest 5-star Gibson acoustic dealers are NYC and Bethleham, PA. So I'm thinking about taking a weekend roadtrip with the sole purpose of finding my new baby. I'm pretty sure I can convince a couple of buddies to hit NYC with me for a weekend. I also have a good friend that lives in Philly, which is about 70 miles from Bethleham.

Has anyone been to any of their 5-star dealers? Are they that much better? Better selection? I went to the GC in Portland, Maine before I got deployed and they had like 2 or 3 new and 1 used gibson.

Any good suggestions in the New England area, or even the East coast? If not, then anything close to Alabama? Thats home for me and I'll eventually make it back next time I take leave. I just want to make sure I have a good selection.

• Members

Ok, so here's a question. I "SHOULD" be returning stateside in June. And if so, I'm planning on having the chunk of cash to put into a high end piece of art like a Gibson. Thing is, where I'm stationed (Maine) the stores don't carry much of a selection. I've looked and the closest 5-star Gibson acoustic dealers are NYC and Bethleham, PA. So I'm thinking about taking a weekend roadtrip with the sole purpose of finding my new baby. I'm pretty sure I can convince a couple of buddies to hit NYC with me for a weekend. I also have a good friend that lives in Philly, which is about 70 miles from Bethleham.

Has anyone been to any of their 5-star dealers? Are they that much better? Better selection? I went to the GC in Portland, Maine before I got deployed and they had like 2 or 3 new and 1 used gibson.

Any good suggestions in the New England area, or even the East coast? If not, then anything close to Alabama? Thats home for me and I'll eventually make it back next time I take leave. I just want to make sure I have a good selection.

• Members

Any good suggestions in the New England area, or even the East coast?

This place has a great selection:

http://www.themusicemporium.com/

Never been there, but bought one of my Martins from them. Great to deal with.

If you do hit NYC, I'd highly recommend a visit to Mandolin Brothers. Kind of out of the way, but well worth it:

http://www.mandoweb.com/

Rudy's on 48th St. in Manhattan is also a great store, but very small. You may want to ask what they have in stock before visiting:

http://www.rudysmusic.com/flash.html

• Members

Might be late to jump in here but I will offer my own $0.02 CAD for what it's worth.

Check out the Guild line. I was looking at a new guitar, would have loved to have a J-45, always something about that guitar that I liked. I played one and loved it. Pricey, but I loved it. I read some reviews and quite a bit came up about quality control and such, which happens with most places, but it seemed higher for these.

Anyway I kept playing and talking to people. I finally had occassion to play a Guild and I loved the tone immediately.

I opted for a used one and got a rosewood and spruce dred that I would put up against most any guitar out there in its class. Built like a tank too, so if you're going to be moving around with it, they do't mind the odd bump or so.

Very reasonably priced at the moment, especially used out of the old Westerly RI factory, before Fender took over.

New ones coming out of Tacoma have been getting good reviews.

I'm not saying they are for everyone, just if you're going to spend some hard earned cash, and you want something that will last a good long while with great tone, at least give them a listen.

Take the advice of some others here and get over to Mandolin Bros and play every one in your price range, then go back the next day and play them again. One of them will call out to you.

All the best.

Archived