Does anybody play old gospel hymns here?

KATMAN

• Members

Being a Baptist, southern gospel is in my blood. I love it, but prefer it in small doses! Lessee, "Unclouded Day" is always a crowd pleaser, as is the old standard "Amazing Grace" and one of my personal favorites, "In the Sweet Bye and Bye." But, if you want to set the place on fire, you've really got to be able to wail on "I'll Fly Away."

• Members

I play in both services in my church. The second service is very contemporary, we do things like David Crowder, Delirious?, Jeremy Camp, etc. The first service is southern Gospel, the Gaithers are the newest artists we play there. About the only thing that I can come up with for that style of music is a Chet Atkins wannabee style of Travis picking.

Can anyone give me tips on how to get into Southern Gospel and if there are some players I might look to for inspiration? Sorry, but to me this music is very hokey and it's hard to give my best.

P.S. Guit30, I'm pretty sure DonK's avatar is Stephen Stills.

• Members

I really don't any southren gospel guitarists out there that are famous.I would say listen to a lot of country music,and try to find the best players there. Brad Paisley is a very good country player,has the best chops around in country.You are right to get into 'Travis' picking.That's a very common style for southren gospel and country music.

• Members

Closest I ever got was Morning Has Broken. I'm a Devil's Outcast I guess.

Fact is, I never could take gospel music. Lyrics are fine. The whole style thing rubs me the wrong way. Kind of whiney.

"Oh Happy Day" and "Goin' Up Yonder".

Walter Hawkins anyone?

• Members

For all the great blues stuff that they've done, my favorite album by Sonny Terry and Brownie McGhee is probably their gospel collection Just a Closer Walk With Thee. It's just the two of them, but at times they have all the rhythmic drive of a full gospel ensemble. I feel Brownie McGhee is a vastly underrated guitarist. His playing always hits the spot for me.

Archived