Crack on my acoustic's top

fret15

• Members

Hey guys, I'm just looking for a little advice.

A couple of weeks ago, I discovered a crack in the top of my acoustic. Its look kind of worries me, and I was wondering whether it's a serious crack or if it doesn't mean much. It's an early 90s, and I've never noticed the crack before, so it is recent.

I've attached a picture (sorry for the bad quality) of it so you guys can see the damage. :cry: Is this fixable? Will it get worse?

Thanks for any help :wave:

http://www.imagehosting.com/show.php/330903_DSC00033.JPG.html

• Members

Looks like, from the enlarged picture, that the top grain is somewhat scalloped. That is one of the first signs of dryness and the cracks, to the best of my knowledge, show up sometime after. If you humidify the guitar when that scalloping occurs you'll likely not end up with a crack.

• Members

I agree that it was most likely caused by dryness. And I would get it fixed asap. Cracks like that can usually be fixed for a reasonable price. You will always be able to see that there was a crack there but structurally it should be fine after the repair.

• Members

I'm sure that there are others but.....I bought a Larravee guitar a few months ago and it came with a booklet on the effects of improper humidity (both too high and too low)....after reading this essay and having the bridge reattached to my Gallagher for the second time, I now realize how lucky I've been that I haven't had a crack in either the Gallagher or my 1964 Epiphone Eldorado....they are all protected by soundhole humidifiers now....

Archived