Dating Vintage Bruno Venturas by serial

Dev-a-Stacia

• Members

Does anyone know how to date a vintage bruno ventura classical model #1585, serial #20905? It was bought used by my parents (getting 2 conflicting stories however) of when it was bought. Dad says bought at a pawn shop in the early 60's, mom says it was won in a poker game in the early 70's. It has the Bruno Ventura paper inside the sound hole, so I figure it predates both decades. I've tried relentlessly to date it, to no avail.

Any insight would be greatly welcomed.

Thanks!

• Members

Thanks,

I've tried emailing him but, the email bounces back as 'undeliverable'. I've checked that site out and (I hope I don't sound too ignorant here, but here goes...) Is there a difference between a V-1585 and a 1585 ? Does V stand for version?

There is a slight difference...the rosette around the sound hole is different...would that indicate any difference? Plus, the catalogue is from the late 60's to late 70's. Jiving with Mom's story more.

I'm more inclined to believe Dad's story, as he simply stated, no the guitar I won in the poker game I sold, switched it with the old Bruno as it was in good condition and told her that was the one I won. She didnt' know the difference.

SO, I'd love to unravell the mystery.

Maybe I did and that's the same one as in the catalogue.

What do you think??

• 13 years later...
  • Members

Venturas are an interesting story. Prior to Bruno being added to the label, Venturas were usually built in Japan. Like many labels of that era, it depends who built the guitar. Some of the models I've heard were crafted by Sadao Yairi (The uncle of the famed Kazao Yairi (Alverez). Sadao made several brands of his own and would contract with Americans for private label guitars. Sadao guitars are legendary for their quality. Supposedly his access to tone woods was shrouded in mystery as well; as his family had a secret stash that was seasoned for decades.

As for your guitar, who knows, but if it is a Yairi, Sadao usually used the Japanese Emperor Dating system. Add 28 years to the first 2 numbers of your guitar serial number. Example: 50234 would date the guitar to 1978.

I hope that helps.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Members

I just bought a Ventura 1580 for $35 it is missing a tuning knob I was wondering what is the difference between the 1580 and the 1585 I don’t see much about the 1580. I just recently got interested in playing on a classical guitar and I did not want to spend too much