A&L AMI laminate top/solid top for travel?

T0MCAT

• Members

I'm thinking of getting an A&L AMI as a sort of travel guitar, basically for work, dog park, ect. . . They sound pretty decent, and seem solid, and I just like A&L's. I'm tradeing in my cheap acoustic to swing it, so I kind of have to deal with a particular store. They have two AMI's: blue, and almond.

I wanted a natural, finished one they call it "almond," but that color only comes as a laminate top. Should I get one in spite of the laminate top? Or would you think a lam top might actually be better suited for a guitar that will see some travel? They have a cedar top, but it's blue and I don't want that. Or should I just stay away from the lam top all together?

• Members

I've found that A&L's all lam guitars sound very similar to their solid spruce topped ones. The cedar tops sound a little different, more mellow. Depends on what you like. Both great guitars. I have an all lam Ami that is on loan to a friend right now, it's a great little guitar.

The lam top will give you greater resistance to humidity and temp. changes as well (making it a good travel guitar).

• Members

Well hudman, I can honestly say the solid did sound better. I played both before I knew one was laminate, and the solid top did sound a little better, but not a ton better. I'll have to play each again. As long as you guys feel the laminate isn't junk, I'll have to really consider it, and for a bring along guitar, it does make sense to get something a little more rugged.

And all GASing aside, I could really USE one of these little things, because when the schedule gets heavy, I'll be able to steal little bits of practice time hear and there, or just have a form stress relief handy.

I was just thinking, I wonder why the laminate top sells for the same price as the solids? Too bad it isn't a bit cheaper, I would think it would be.

• Members

As long as you guys feel the laminate isn't junk...

Definetely not junk. Laminates are God's gift to the traveling man. Go from Florida to the Yukon and your laminate guitar is good as new. Go from Florida to the Yukon with that solid A&L and it explodes.

Ellen

• Members

I went back to play them today, The solid top defintly sounds better: louder, more sustain, better tone; BUT, I'm not buying a blue acoustic. If they gave me a really good price on the lam, I might do it, otherwise, I may see if they can order me a black one, they're solid top. I can't see spending the same coin on a lam when I could get a solid top at the same price, but we'll see. . . I tell those A&L's are some great sounding guitars at an awesome price.

And I didn't realize how small (but not too small) the AMIs actually are, but they still sound good. I could really smuggle that thing all around. I feel dumb walking around with an acoustic gig bag on my back, ya know. I could carry that around in a big army duffel bag and nobody would know.

• Members

I went back to play them today, The solid top defintly sounds better: louder, more sustain, better tone; BUT, I'm not buying a blue acoustic. If they gave me a really good price on the lam, I might do it, otherwise, I may see if they can order me a black one, they're solid top. I can't see spending the same coin on a lam when I could get a solid top at the same price, but we'll see. . . I tell those A&L's are some great sounding guitars at an awesome price.

And I didn't realize how small (but not too small) the AMIs actually are, but they still sound good. I could really smuggle that thing all around. I feel dumb walking around with an acoustic gig bag on my back, ya know. I could carry that around in a big army duffel bag and nobody would know.

I came close to buying a black one on Ebay last year. It sold while I was considering buying it. The black looks good because you can see the wood grain through it.

Get them to order you the black one. The solid top will only sound better as the guitar ages. :thu:

• Members

Tom,

I have a lam A&L and bought mine for exactly the same purpose. At the time, the lam was $50 cheaper than the solid top, but I couldn't tell the difference in the sound, so I got the lam. I like all the S&P, A&L, Normans, etc that I have played, so I think you can't go wrong (except for a blue guitar). For road-worthiness, I'd go for the lam.

• Members

I love all the Godin guitars too. But tomorrow, I'm buying an Ibanez AS73, semihollow electric, at GC on the one year same as cash (I'm insaine with GAS, it's pretty messed up really). Then I'll look into the AMI. I'll see what the price will be on that lam, and I'll look into a black one, but the A&L's are hot items right now, so they're always on order it seems. Yeah, the black looks pretty cool on those little bodies.

Archived