How much belly?

• Members

I've got a Martin D-15 (spruce top, hog back and sides model from MF) that I love. My question is how much of a belly is too much? When I first got the guitar, a friend who's been playing guitar much longer than I told me that he was surprised that it had already showed signs of "bellying" (dont know if thats right) and that I should switch from medium to light strings. That was a year ago, and it hasn't gotten any worse but I want my medium strings back. Has anyone else had this experience with a "new" acoustic? Think I could switch back without a problem? Lastly...if I decide to take it to a martin dealer will it matter that I didn't buy the guitar from them? Thanks for any help.

• Members

Quoting the Martin "Care and Feeding" booklet that comes with their quitars:

"The bellying of the top is normal and should be expected.

The top is actually made with an arch. This will increase over

a period of time due to string stress and/or high humidity.

Heavy-gauge strings should not be used. If the bellying

becomes excessive, the saddle and bridge may need to be

lowered to improve the playability."

If all else fails, read the directions.

If it hasn't gotten any worse, and more importantly the playability and sound have not been negatively effected, you probably have nothing to worry about.

In any case, if you have doubts, have it checked out by a pro. The peace of mind will be worth the effort.

My new D12-28, an '07 three weeks out of the factory shows a slight belly. We are similar in that respect.............and mine will likely increase faster over time due to high humidity........the 12 ounce kind.

Clif

• Members

Quoting the Martin "Care and Feeding" booklet that comes with their quitars:

"The bellying of the top is normal and should be expected.

The top is actually made with an arch. This will increase over

a period of time due to string stress and/or high humidity.

Heavy-gauge strings should not be used. If the bellying

becomes excessive, the saddle and bridge may need to be

lowered to improve the playability."

If all else fails, read the directions.

If it hasn't gotten any worse, and more importantly the playability and sound have not been negatively effected, you probably have nothing to worry about.

In any case, if you have doubts, have it checked out by a pro. The peace of mind will be worth the effort.

My new D12-28, an '07 three weeks out of the factory shows a slight belly. We are similar in that respect.............and mine will likely increase faster over time due to high humidity........the 12 ounce kind.

Clif

Yes, unfortunately those directions (I've read them) suck my left nut till tuesday. Like what is excessive? What are "heavy gauge strings?" Mediums? See it hasn't gotten worse cuz I have been using lights. The problem is I hate lights, medium sounds much better - I just don't want to ruin the guitar.

• Members

A couple of quick points.

1) for a D-15 Martin says "RECOMMENDED STRINGS: Martin SP 4200 Medium Phosphor Bronze "

2) it is under warranty if you are the original owner

3) flat top guitar will have a slight curve to the top. A straight edge across the lower bout should have about 1/8 gap on the sides.

4) when my old D12-=28 started developing a belly (and I mistakenly tried to fix it with a JLD Bridge Doc) it was symptomatic of the neck needing a reset (which is also covered under warranty). Think of it thus - as the neck and upper bout rotates down, the area below the bridge rotates up.

5) I can't believe that Martin says "bridge may need to be lowered to improve the playability". Saddle, yes, bridge, not normally.

6) have an authorized repair person look at it. She can start the paperwork with Martin if she thinks it needs anything. It does not matter where you bought it, but not all Martin dealers are authorized repair people (my local store, for example, just ships gits off to where ever Martin tells them).

• Members

A couple of quick points.

1) for a D-15 Martin says "RECOMMENDED STRINGS: Martin SP 4200 Medium Phosphor Bronze "

2) it is under warranty if you are the original owner

3) flat top guitar will have a slight curve to the top. A straight edge across the lower bout should have about 1/8 gap on the sides.

4) when my old D12-=28 started developing a belly (and I mistakenly tried to fix it with a JLD Bridge Doc) it was symptomatic of the neck needing a reset (which is also covered under warranty). Think of it thus - as the neck and upper bout rotates down, the area below the bridge rotates up.

5) I can't believe that Martin says "bridge may need to be lowered to improve the playability". Saddle, yes, bridge, not normally.

6) have an authorized repair person look at it. She can start the paperwork with Martin if she thinks it needs anything. It does not matter where you bought it, but not all Martin dealers are authorized repair people (my local store, for example, just ships gits off to where ever Martin tells them).

Thank you very much, its great to know that they recommend medium strings for the D-15.

I've got a couple Martin dealers where I live, so I'll just have to find out which, if any, actually does repairs on site. I've got a week between semesters (last one ended Sunday for me, next one starts on Monday:cry: ) so I'll try and get right on that. Thank you, as well, for the other info in regards to the top.

Happy pickin' everyone!

Archived