Is it just me or is Tommy Emmanuel's tone amazing?

unhorizon

• Members

yes, a good friend bought the same model maton 12 string as mine once, but not a custom job, standard, and it sounded so identical it freaked me out, mine did have a slight edge tho, but he bought a taylor 12 string about a year later, admittadly worth one or two grand more than the maton, but it did blow the maton outta the water - cant remember the model no, tho - thats about the extent of my comparison - that taylor rox tho - never palyed a 12 you could so easily fingerpick!!

• Members

btw mine is a EM425/12 'custom deluxe' i think it was mid range model? at the time, i'm no expert on matons - but they are built like tanks, never had probs with it, great workhorse - heres an old pic - most people dont realise they come set-up for top e 12's string wise - ya gotta set them up for your prefered string gauge

• Members

i did buy a s/h Martin D-16GT dreadnought gloss top when i went for a nice six string later on i have to say (already had various dreadnoughts, ibanez performance and such) - but the maton 12 i really gave a thrashing to - played it exclusively for 5 years in a duo at one stage, sometimes up to 5 hours a day *ouch* hehe, and it never flinched (i use 11's on just about everything, even electrics) great gigging 12, you dont need to worry about temp changes ect. as much, not like the highly strung and expensive studio models mebbe?

• Members

It would probably cost too much to ship Maton's to the U.S with a major dealer, and besides that, they use some timber that most people here aren't accustomed to playing. Most people don't know anything beyond spruce top, and mahogany or rosewood sides and back. Bunya top?? wtf is that? Blackwood sides, huh? And most of their sitka is A or AA grade??

Canada is probably the only country where thier guitars sell pretty well in the United States...oh and Tommy Emmanuel's tone is amazing for about 2 minutes, then it all sounds the same to me.

Larrivee actually has made guitars with blackwood back and sides. Its beautiful. It makes sense to build guitars with lumber that is native to the area they are manufactured especially when it is an island. At least thats how it seems to me. Most of the more well known guitar players from Australia play Matons (or at least the ones I can think of right now). Tommy, John Butler, Daniel Johns (silverchair), Keith Urban, others maybe??? From what I gather, they are good live guitars. I read an interview where Tommy said he loved them because of the pickup system. Keith Urban also plays them live but Gibsons in the studio, so that makes sense to me.

Funny thing about someone with good tone...it does always start to sound the same...fantastic. :-D

• Members

anyway i doubt the woods/construction used in the matons that TE plays are the same quality in the matons as what us plebs play ;)

ya got to remember, US quality acoustic gits have traditionally cost more in oz than in the US of course, by the time they get here, and maton have occupied that market in between forever, being not an import. the ozzie dollar hasnt always been as high as it is atm or in recent years

• Members

Yeah, it ain't just the guitar. I saw him live and he's got a lot of reverb going - but for his style that's what works for him. YMMV.

From what I understand, he has some sort of sponsorship with Maton so he pretty much has to play them. I also hear that he has a variety of guitars that he keeps with friends around the world which are not necessarily Matons. I believe he's mentioned Martins and Larrivees on occasion - no word on what he thinks of Taylors!
:evil:

BTW - before APM went down they had an interview with him playing a Martin. I don't know the model other than it was an OM and man did he smoke with that thing.

On his website he talks about his whole guitar collection and Martins and Larrivees. I've never played a Maton so I don't have an opinion on if it's him or the guitar.. The question is though, if it is him and the guitar sucks why are we spending all this money on quality instruments when a sucky one can sound like TE..

Archived