Heads Up on the Hound Dog

Fred Fartboski

• Members

The Hound Dog started as a no frills, entry level Dobro, manufactured by Gibson in Nashville and usually sold for around $800. A few weeks ago I noticed them being offered for $349 at Music123. My inital reaction was that Gibson was discontinuing them and blowing out old inventory. At that price it would be a great deal for a USA Gibson so I ordered one of the round necks. Then I read in another forum that the $349 Hound Dog was now being manufactured in China. I called Music123 and they confirmed that they are indeed made in China. They're being sold right alongside the USA Hound Dog, with the exact same specs, which is now selling for $1299! I cancelled my order. There are many much more nicely appointed import resonators out there for $349.

• Members

I have to wonder about the suits at Gibson. It seems like they delight in doing things to piss off their customers.

Then again, I'm probably living in a bubble. I most people probably don't care about Gibson's business practices (what they just did to Garrison customers is a travesty). They've heard of Gibson, so they're happy if it says "Gibson" on the headstock.

• Members

Never owned a Gibson. My conscience is clear. I almost bought a Hummingbird in the early 70's but the Martin D-35 next to it on the shop wall made it a no contest decision. I'd like to get a resonator but I'm still muddy-headed about getting a 12 first.

• Members
I have to wonder about the suits at Gibson. It seems like they delight in doing things to piss off their customers.

Gotta agree; I feel like Gibson fans must have to hold their nose when they buy (don't give me a hard time about my LP Studio; they were blowing them out for $999 ;).

Archived