Attention: Richard Thompson Fans/AG Mag

rjoxyz

• Members

An earlier thread hyped the October issue of Acoustic Guitar magazine for various legitimate reasons. HOWEVER, one little detail was omitted. That beret-wearing, avatar inspiring, inimitable acoustic and electric virtuoso, just happens to featured on the cover and in an interview.

Very cool! :thu:

• Members
Mine should be in the box when I get home tonight. FWIW - I've struggled for years to learn "1952 Vincent...." RT plays those little hammer-ons awfully darn fast. (It is an interesting tuning too). So what song(s) did they feature?

Even attempting " '52 Vincent" speaks volumes about your ambition (per the interview, he plays it in CGDGBE). Remember, you are the guy who describes his own playing as "crappy". :rolleyes: If I could learn to play that in a remotely recognizable manner, I could die feeling I had accomplished something (I can sing the hell out of it, listening to the CD in my car :))
The interview touches on some of his techniqes, tunings, etc. and analyzes a few riffs. The only song featured in its entirety is "She Sang Angels to Rest" (drop D) from his new album.

Interesting coverage of a uniquely talented guy who does not get much mainstream press.

• Members

Interesting coverage of a uniquely talented guy who does not get much mainstream press.

IMHO he is a monster. The tuning is interesting because he is playing in the key of C (except capoed up a ways). The tuned down 5th and 6th strings are tonic notes for both his C and G7 chords without fretting them (kind of like dropped D gives you an extra bass D for the normal chords in the key of D). And the picking is really pretty simple - he just hammers on a bazillion times really fast. Yeah, sure, really simple, he says with a grin.....

I am struggling with two very different Vincents - RT's (and I happen to love the song), and the Chet version of Don McClean's "Starry Starry Night" (which is also in a slightly weird tuning and which our own Mr Kwak plays so beautifully).

"Said Red Molly to James, that a fine motor bike

A girl would feel special on any the like

Said James to Red Molly, my hat's off to you

Its a Vincent Black Lighting, 1952...."

ah, yes, red hair and black leather, my favorate color scheme....

edit to add, I'm glad I rode the scooter today - it will be a nice ride home

• Members
An earlier thread hyped the October issue of Acoustic Guitar magazine for various legitimate reasons. HOWEVER, one little detail was omitted. That beret-wearing, avatar inspiring, inimitable acoustic and electric virtuoso, just happens to featured on the cover and in an interview.

Very cool!
:thu:

I'm looking at my A.G. magazine; I'm looking at your avatar. Hey, that is Richard!! He has just a bit more gray in his bread in the A.G. pic, that's what through me off. ;) Last night I was toying with my fingering on his song "She Sang Angels to Rest, what a pretty song.

Trina

Archived