Good inexpensive acoustics for people with fat fingers?

Cheese Grits

• Members

The Guild GAD-30 series and Epiphone Masterbuilt EF-500 series are both wider necked (1-3/4") and have wider string spacing at the saddle.

It's relative though... you may not think 400-600 is "inexpensive". In the cheapo guitar range you're not going to find much with a wider neck. There is the Silver Creek T-160 from Musician's Friend, which is a house version of the Johnson Carolina 000. $299 shipped. You'll probably need a setup though.

• Members

It's for a recommendation for a friend who isn't sure if guitar is going to be for him. He doesn't want to spend "a lot of money", but who know what that means because he's a bank president. I recommended that he check out the Seagull S6 after searching the archives here and stumbling upon some similar discussions. I think $380 is pretty reasonable for an adult with a job, right?

So, does anyone with a Seagull s6 have any gripes?

Thanks again... in advance. :)

• Members

Or you can look for an old Harmony guitar (pictured in my avitar). Every one I've played have had wide necks/wider string spacing. You can find some that sound really good. I'm rather partial to the sound of the Harmony Stella H942. You can find them cheap on eBay, or at garage/estate sales. It's worth a shot.

Dan

• Members

Another vote for Seagull. Musicians Friend has 'gulls starting at $299. If you don't mind using Ebay you can find one much cheaper than that. With the 1.8" nut width they are the ultimate "fat finger" guitar. They basically feel like a twelve string guitar with six strings taken off.

I had a Seagull and thought it was a very well built guitar. I would buy another without question if I stumbled upon the right deal.

• Members

Another vote for Seagull. Musicians Friend has 'gulls starting at $299. If you don't mind using Ebay you can find one much cheaper than that. With the 1.8" nut width they are the ultimate "fat finger" guitar. They basically feel like a twelve string guitar with six strings taken off.

I had a Seagull and thought it was a very well built guitar. I would buy another without question if I stumbled upon the right deal.

+1. I'm pretty sure we've had this thread before, but I can't remember which guitar was suggested the most. Maybe Seagull?

Archived