Needing a pickup for a 12 string

JaLester

• Members

I currently have a Martin D-2R and a Seagull s6 with matching fishman natural II pickups. I would like to purchase another natural II for my FG-260 12 string, but I am not sure if they make a size to fit. I current setup is through a fishman aura outboard pedal and then to fishman loudbox amplifier before I d.i. from the back of my amp to the house. I use chorus and delay occasionally, but only through the effects side of my amp. If fishman doesn't make a natural II size that fits my yamaha, what pickup should I get for my application. I usually play in a loud worship band setting 3 times a week, so headroom and getting through the mix cleanly is highly important. Our worship band has a bass, keys, B3, elecric, v-drums, djembe/aux percussion, and I lead with the acoustic. I just don't have the money to play trial and error currently. Suggestions would be very helpful.

• Members

Nothing on their website says anything about using a natural II for a 12 string, and no one I know has any information either. That is what forums are for, I wouldn't have asked a question if I already knew or could find out on my own.

• Members

Hey Noobie -

Lay off.

This sorts of qustions (and well thought out - he defined what he needed, why and what sound) are exactly what these forums are for.

That said - to the OP, maybe a sound-hole pickup - they tend to the "cut-through the mix" side of things. Not sure about the 12 string aspect though. Maybe...

I have a great 70's MIJ Epi 12 string that I had a Matrix installed in, and it sounds great - very good string to string notes and I'm pleased.

AM

google

• Members

Hey Noobie -

Lay off.

This sorts of qustions (and well thought out - he defined what he needed, why and what sound) are exactly what these forums are for.

That said - to the OP, maybe a sound-hole pickup - they tend to the "cut-through the mix" side of things. Not sure about the 12 string aspect though. Maybe...

I have a great 70's MIJ Epi 12 string that I had a Matrix installed in, and it sounds great - very good string to string notes and I'm pleased.

AM

The problem w/ soundhole P/Us is that the octave strings and the "B" and "high E"s (being unwound) will be louder than the fundamental (wound) strings, so USTs are a better choice, unless you're always going to play solo and at relatively low volumes, in which case SBTs (like the K&K mentioned) will also work.

If you're going to play at higher volumes and/or in an ensemble with a bass and/or drums, a UST is the way to go, though.

• Members

That's true - some sound hole PU's have adjustable pole pieces, but now that you mention it - never seen one for 12 strings. Those B's and E's would really blast out.

AM

The problem w/ soundhole P/Us is that the octave strings and the "B" and "high E"s (being unwound) will be louder than the fundamental (wound) strings, so USTs are a better choice, unless you're always going to play solo and at relatively low volumes, in which case SBTs (like the K&K mentioned) will also work.

If you're going to play at higher volumes and/or in an ensemble with a bass and/or drums, a UST is the way to go, though.

Archived