Yamaha G-150-1 (or l)?

Glenn F

• Members

Hi there,

I have a Yamaha G-150 (with either a hyphenated 1 or L after the 150), made in Taiwan, bought off of a retired gentleman in 2001. IIRC, he said it was about 25 years old when I bought it. Anyways, I intend to sell it (I bought a better classical in the summer) and was wondering what its characteristics are, and what it may be worth. It is in quite good condition.

Cheers, and thanks!

Glenn

• Members

Many older Yamaha classicals come in a version with a "II" after their model number, but I've never seen just an "I". Pretty sure it's not an L.

Regardless, it's not worth a whole lot. I have a G-120, MIJ, that I paid around $90 for including shipping. I see others on ebay all the time, anywhere from G-60s to G-235s go for more or less the same price. Doesn't seem to be much difference in value between the MIJ and theTaiwan ones, either....though I would have thought the Japanese ones were worth more.

• Members

I did find this, for the G-150, on Yamaha's site:

SPECIFICATIONS:

G150

Year(s) Sold: 1973-76

Original MSRP(US$): $166.50

Top: Spruce

Back / Sides: Sapele

Neck: Nato

Fingerboard: Indian Rosewood

Bridge: Indian Rosewood

Color(s): Natural

No listing for a "I" or "II" variant, though.

• Members

Thanks! I guess the top and sides are laminates. I don't know exactly what I was thinking when I bought this guitar. I needed a classical for occasional nylon bits in my arrangements, and thought I might get lucky with someone who'd had one of the better models stashed in closet or something. Still, as I said, it is in very good condition, so up to

Archived