String Buzz in a used git and a GC adventure

Berkleo

• Members

I checked out a very attractively priced used Taylor 514 at a not so local GC last week. My guess is that the reason for the great price ($200-$400 less than norm) had to have been the buzzing in the D, A and low E strings, open and fretted. Now it seems to me that if just a simple truss rod adjustment was the needed fix the it would have been done in lieu of marking the price down, but maybe not. Any thoughts?

• Members

open
and fretted. Now it seems to me that if just a simple truss rod adjustment was the needed fix

That word gets my attention. Open strings buzzing would mean really extreme back bow and or a really low nut (which is then out of the picture when fretted). You could be right but I would look carefully.

Remember too that Taylors seem particularly sensitive to humidity which not only can cause buzzing but can affect a bunch of other stuff too. GC should be capable of setting it up to be buzz free, but they have a reputaton of not taking the best of care of their gits.

I guess one of the things I would expect buying a guitar in a store (GC or anywhere else) is that they make it playable before I walk out the door.

• Members

I'd describe the action as typical for a Taylor. I've played a bunch with similar action and no buzz but higher price tag.

The open string buzz is what stops me too. Is the potential problem worth the bargain price? I'm starting to think - no.

Also I don't have much faith in the techs at GC. Would I want them to make it playable or negotiate a significant discount then take it to someone I trusted?

Honestly, I don't even know why I normally go in there, but in this case I was interested in this model specifically and I drove over an hour just to check it out. It was a disappointment (buzz on nicely priced git I'd been coveting) and a relief (phew, don't have to buy at GC).

• Members

Hi Folks,

The phrase "used" tends to make me think the following;

There's always the chance that someone in the store has perhaps down-sized string gauge during a string renewal and the neck has bowed back slightly due to the lighter string tension with a probably already low action. A simple tweak of the truss rod, reversion to heavier string gauge, saddle adjustment or (Even better) an adequate set-up should more than likely remedy this. The kind of buzzing you've described isn't always apparent immediately after a string change as it can sometimes take a few days for a guitar to settle into it's new environment and / or set-up, but whoever's responsible for the acoustic section (In the store the guitar's at) should be keeping a regular check on his / her stock .

I'd suggest asking a member of staff to run through the guitar's set-up with you and see what feedback he/she gives regarding the buzz problem, reasoning behind the price drop and any possible remedies. Ask about the truss rod, because they can sometimes snap when over-adjusted by inexperienced hands, but the tell-tale sign is rattling / heavy buzzing emitting from within the neck itself.

Only consider buying once you've fully satisfied yourself with the guitar's condition and best of luck. IMHO Taylor make very fine guitars :thu:

• Members

Hi Folks,

The phrase "used" tends to make me think the following;

There's always the chance that someone in the store has perhaps down-sized string gauge during a string renewal and the neck has bowed back slightly due to the lighter string tension with a probably already low action. A simple tweak of the truss rod, reversion to heavier string gauge, saddle adjustment or (Even better) an adequate set-up should more than likely remedy this. The kind of buzzing you've described isn't always apparent immediately after a string change as it can sometimes take a few days for a guitar to settle into it's new environment and / or set-up, but whoever's responsible for the acoustic section (In the store the guitar's at) should be keeping a regular check on his / her stock .

I'd suggest asking a member of staff to run through the guitar's set-up with you and see what feedback he/she gives regarding the buzz problem, reasoning behind the price drop and any possible remedies. Ask about the truss rod, because they can sometimes snap when over-adjusted by inexperienced hands, but the tell-tale sign is rattling / heavy buzzing emitting from within the neck itself.

Only consider buying once you've fully satisfied yourself with the guitar's condition and best of luck. IMHO Taylor make very fine guitars
:thu:

Excellent advice.

Thanks Gary

• Members

Hi Berkleo,

Never a problem. ;) I think you did the right thing by walking away to think about this one and sincerely hope you manage to find "the" guitar you're seeking. The Taylor in question may or may not be "the one" if it proves to be seriously flawed, but it's surprising just how much difference a proper set-up can make to a seemingly un-playable guitar.

Archived