NSAD

spruce goose

• Members

Posted this in the amp sub-forum, but I think I might need to crank the IQ level to double digits for this one.

I just got a new amp, and it stinks to high heavens from cigars. Is there any way to get the stench out of my apartment? I'm thinking of returning it, since the guy I got it from seems decent enough...........

• Members

Posted this in the amp sub-forum, but I think I might need to crank the IQ level to double digits for this one.

I just got a new amp, and it stinks to high heavens from cigars. Is there any way to get the stench out of my apartment? I'm thinking of returning it, since the guy I got it from seems decent enough...........

I seem to remember a cure for this. It involves leaving a pan of ammonia...or maybe it's vinegar...in the room with the amp overnight. Worth a try.

• Members

I've used the baking soda trick with fairly good results and there are some enzyme sprays that are pretty good are removing oders (you can get them at pet stores for when you cat has an "accident"). But if you are like me and really bothered by the smell of old smoke your best bet might be to return it and get something else.

• Members

Not sure about amps, but on two guitars now, I've done the baking soda trick. Actuall, I use baking soda and rice.

Both guitars smelled badly of cigarette smoke, and one also had a mildew smell. Plus, both were a little dusty/dirty on the inside, so in went the baking soda and rice, and on went the blue tape over the sound hole. The rice does a great job of distributing the baking soda all over the inside of the guitar, and the rice also acts like little brooms to sweep out all the dust/dirt/what-have-you. A good vacuuming of the guitar after about 10 minutes of shaking it, and the baking soda in for a couple of days, and the guitar smells good, and is nice and clean.

Dan

• Members

luckily I work really close to my apartment. Bought some baking soda on my lunch break....

I put 4 plastic cups of the baking soda, plus the original box, inside the opening in the back of the amp, and covered the the amp (for now) with an old shirt. I'll see if this helps, then I'll try to take the fabric part of the amp out, and febreze it.

Archived