Chord Progressions Resource?

BackPocket

• Members

Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone knew of a good website that gave some lessons/info on how to effectively use augmented, diminished, 6, 11, etc. chords when putting together chord progressions.

I know how to play them and have used them in things I have written but I would like to read up on them to get more familiar. Most online resources just show you the chord charts.

Thanks.

Matt

• Members
Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone knew of a good website that gave some lessons/info on how to effectively use augmented, diminished, 6, 11, etc. chords when putting together chord progressions.

I know how to play them and have used them in things I have written but I would like to read up on them to get more familiar. Most online resources just show you the chord charts.

Thanks.

Matt

Have you tried? www.cyberfret.com

• Members

You mentioned diminished and augmented (fifth) chords. Schopenhauer called these "vagrant" harmonies because they of their rootlessness, and thereby, ambiguous nature. I've been messing with them recently as means to practice moving between keys. To formal music students the following will be trivial, but here's some examples of what works:

Diminished chord will resolve to the four different dominant seventh chords whose root is half a step down from the four notes in the diminished chord. Similiarly, they will move upwards half steps to four minor (-seventh) chords. Major chord move upwards a half step to a diminished chord.

There are other chords that move to and be resolved from diminished chords easily by way of voice leading. Dominant ninths, minor seven flat-fives and minor sixths fall into this category. Also, a diminished chord is simply a dominant seven flat-nine with the root amputated.

With respect to augmented fifth chords, the root note of minor chords will move a half step down to it. Augmented chords will resolve to a major chord with the same

Archived