Way OT: Pirating Your Own Music

Stackabones

• Members

Read this interesting article about musicians in Botswana pirating their own music.

But while many local musicians are complaining about the Chinese and Zimbabweans pirating their music, there are reports that Batswana artistes are also "pirating" their own music. CDs from such artistes go as cheaply as P20 a copy, which others say is killing the music industry.

It seems that the music industry is being killed everywhere.

On a related note ... David Bryne's Survival Strategies for Emerging Artists

1. At one end of the scale is the 360, or equity, deal, where every aspect of the artist's career is handled by producers, promoters, marketing people, and managers.

2. Next is what I'll call the standard distribution deal. The record company bankrolls the recording and handles the manufacturing, distribution, press, and promotion. The label, in this scenario, owns the copyright to the recording. Forever.

3. The license deal is similar to the standard deal, except in this case the artist retains the copyrights and ownership of the master recording. The right to exploit that property is granted to a label for a limited period of time

• Members

Interesting article, people have been talking about the demise of record labels and the music industry for years. However, both are still alive and kicking. In addition, I believe that it is much easier for an artist to be independent nowadays. For example, I have a friend who I jam with regularly; he does not have a record contract, but he produces his own CD's and sells his music through MySpace. Although it is easier for smaller artists to stay independent, I do not believe that the record industry is going to fade away.

• Members

Interesting article, people have been talking about the demise of record labels and the music industry for years. However, both are still alive and kicking. In addition, I believe that it is much easier for an artist to be independent nowadays. For example, I have a friend who I jam with regularly; he does not have a record contract, but he produces his own CD's and sells his music through MySpace. Although it is easier for smaller artists to stay independent, I do not believe that the record industry is going to fade away.

+1

It has become a bit easier for musicians to follow Byrne's #6 DIY model. I think there's an analogy in the article about how some folks would rather buy a local homemade wine or locally-grown produce rather than something mass-produced. Technology has made that feasible for local musicians to serve the local community but also have a chance to reach out and touch someone in another state or country.

The big corporate model is often the wrong approach for many musicians--though it obviously can be quite lucrative for a few. Sadly, many think that it is the only way to go in order to be successful.

• Members

I think the 360 or equity deal has cost many artists dearly. Some are quite literally held hostage by their contracts, forced into grueling tours and recording schedules.

One can only hope that the rise of independent artists would make industry giants take a closer look at how they handle their contract artists.

Fortune I wouldn't mind having a bit of, but fame? No way. Though I oftentimes wish I made a living at doing something I love, I honestly think the price would be one I'm unwilling to pay.

Archived