Classsical guitar strings

Knottyhed

• Members

Can anybody recommend me some classical guitar strings, I'm finding all the sets I've tried so far are incapable of staying in tune for a whole song and the treble strings tend to sound very 'dead' in comparison to the bass strings - although perhaps that is how my ears are attuned? I'm primarily a steel string acoustic and electric guitar player...

• Members

Can anybody recommend me some classical guitar strings, I'm finding all the sets I've tried so far are incapable of staying in tune for a whole song and the treble strings tend to sound very 'dead' in comparison to the bass strings - although perhaps that is how my ears are attuned? I'm primarily a steel string acoustic and electric guitar player...

I always use Hannabach. I'm quite quick with replacing dead strings, but I can't remember when I put on the last set anymore. I already bought a new set a month or more ago, but these strings just keep sounding good.

New nylon strings take a day or two to stretch out so much that they'll stay in tune, and never are quite as stable as steel strings when it comes to that.

And yes, nylon strings do sound mellower, less trebly than steel strings. You have to get used to playing them. I always find myself in the mood for either one or the other. When I like my classical guitar I find my steel string sounding somewhat cold, but when I'm in the mood for my steel string guiitars I find the nylon string somewhat bland.

• Members
all the sets I've tried so far are incapable of staying in tune for a whole song

the treble strings tend to sound very 'dead' in comparison to the bass strings

Did you know that nylon (and carbon composite) strings take several days to stretch out and hold their tune? In this regard, it is beneficial to have as few wraps as possible on the tuning rollers, esp for the treble strings. More wraps = longer stretch time. Here's a picture showing minimum wraps:

72Vheadstock.jpg

Also, when I restring, while I'm bringing the string up to pitch, I will grab the string at the 12th fret and gently pull upwards (away from fretboard, about one inch) several times to hasten the seating process on the tuning roller and bridge tie block. And then I'll do this a couple more times in the first day after the string has come up to pitch. Finally, make sure that the strings are properly tied at both ends.....the trebles in particular are rather "slippery" and if not properly secured, they will pop off and gouge your guitar!

Regarding "dull" sounding trebles, that is, in part, the nature of the beast. The warm treble sound is what many nylon string players like. The brightest sounding trebles available are "carbon composites" (not pure nylon). An example is Savarez Alliance trebles. Almost all makers now offer carbon composite trebles.

Have fun!

• Members

riffmeister has given you a lot of solid info. Unlike steel strings, it can take several days or a couple of weeks for nylons/carbons to stop stretching (depending on the manufacturer and how many times you wind it on the peg).

For brightness, I always go for the Savarez Alliance hard-tension (540J) in carbons. I love the bell-like qualities of the 1st and 2nd strings when properly tuned-up to pitch. I'm not a big fan of the basses of this set and have recently been using the Savarez trebles with D'Addario Pro Arte Composite basses.

If you decide to use the hard-tension Savarez, make sure that your knots/windings are secure at the bridge and at the pegs. Savarez hard-tension seems to be almost equivalent to other brands' extra-hard tension. I've had my 1st strings slip once.

• Members
Regarding "dull" sounding trebles, that is, in part, the nature of the beast. The warm treble sound is what many nylon string players like. The brightest sounding trebles available are "carbon composites" (not pure nylon).

Have fun!

Yeh - I suspected part of it was that I'm used to the tone of steel strings, but sounds like it might be worth me looking into those carbon composites as the 'dull' tone is bothering me. Just goes to show that "good" and "bad" tone really is subjective LOL.

The guitars tuning does settle after a couple of days (i.e. it becomes a usable instrument), but tuning is still very unstable compared to a steel string guitar - again; it sounds like it's probably something I have to live with though!?

I'll try using less wraps on the peg head next time i restring, stupidly I was doing the opposite and putting as many wraps as possible because I was worried about the string slipping off the peg head.

Thanks guys for your recommendations string :cool:

• Members

A professor at the college that I attend swears by Aranjuez nylon strings for classical guitars. He got me to try a set on my classical guitar, and it sounded amazing! Not sure where you can get them, because I bought a set directly from the professor.

I used to get those as well, but at a certain moment I couldn't get the 700-series anymore here (this was before buying through Internet was possible) which were my favourite.

• Members

Yeh - I suspected part of it was that I'm used to the tone of steel strings, but sounds like it might be worth me looking into those carbon composites as the 'dull' tone is bothering me. Just goes to show that "good" and "bad" tone really is subjective LOL.

Of course there are also differences between guitars. My Hopf had a cedar top which sounds a bit mellower than the ones with spruce tops, for example.

• Members

The 'dull' tone is bothering me, just goes to show that "good" and "bad" tone really is subjective LOL.

tuning is still very unstable compared to a steel string guitar.

Yes, different strokes, as it were. Do you use the nails on your right hand? Adds a lot of 'crispness'.....

Tuning will never be as stable as steel. The most stable trebles I've ever tried are Galli Titaniums, however, I didn't care for them, so off they came and back on went the Savarez.....

Archived