Barclay BA1143.......

spruce goose

• Members

I've not seen or heard of one of those, but it sure looks interesting. Yeah, at a glance, I'd figure it for a '60s vintage, and around $50 to $80.

Wow - look at those braces inside! Not exactly lightweight, eh?

Hmmm......rusty, "hung-up" tuners? Maybe take them off, give them a good cleaning first, then dress with a mild, lightweight oil like "Marvel" or perhaps graphite, then another good wipe-down before remounting on the headstock?

I honestly don't know the best way to restore vintage tuners, so I'll wait for Professor Freeman or one of our other uber-experts to speak on that.

• Members

Well, that's definately a Harmony guitar. It's similar to my H942 (see my avitar), though the H942 uses bridge pins and has inlaid fret markers. The tuning machines on mine are also stiff. I soaked mine in oil for a week, cleaned them, lubed them, did all I can, and they are still stiff. Probably time for new tuning machines. That's the route I'm going with mine anyhow. I believe Harmony used solid Birch in the 60's before switching to laminated woods in the mid 70's.

As for worth, the H942 in decent shape goes from $65 to $100 lately on eBay, so I would assume you are about right on bringing in up to $80 on eBay.

That guitar will be a workhorse. They are virtually indestructable. I am a bit of a Harmony nut. The one I have has been through you-know-where and back, and is still playing (though I had to do some work on her). How is the neck angle? I had to do a neck reset on mine, and was very easy on mine compared to some others.

Enjoy that guitar. It'll make a nice beater, but will also make a nice player guitar. I am actually looking for another old Harmony grand concert for my sister since she is now using mine. Good find on your part.

Dan

Edit: Dang, TAH beat me to it. Actually, there was a time where those guitars would bring that much in from eBay, but not lately. I have yet to see one of those go over $100 lately. Things may change though.

• Members

Well, that's definately a Harmony guitar. It's similar to my H942 (see my avitar), though the H942 uses bridge pins and has inlaid fret markers. The tuning machines on mine are also stiff. I soaked mine in oil for a week, cleaned them, lubed them, did all I can, and they are still stiff. Probably time for new tuning machines. That's the route I'm going with mine anyhow. I believe Harmony used solid Birch in the 60's before switching to laminated woods in the mid 70's.

As for worth, the H942 in decent shape goes from $65 to $100 lately on eBay, so I would assume you are about right on bringing in up to $80 on eBay.

That guitar will be a workhorse. They are virtually indestructable. I am a bit of a Harmony nut. The one I have has been through you-know-where and back, and is still playing (though I had to do some work on her). How is the neck angle? I had to do a neck reset on mine, and was very easy on mine compared to some others.

Enjoy that guitar. It'll make a nice beater, but will also make a nice player guitar. I am actually looking for another old Harmony grand concert for my sister since she is now using mine. Good find on your part.

Dan

Edit: Dang, TAH beat me to it. Actually, there was a time where those guitars would bring that much in from eBay, but not lately. I have yet to see one of those go over $100 lately. Things may change though.

Haven't priced 'em on Ebay, but that's the ball park they often go for at Guitar Shows.

If that Barclay/Harmony was mine, I think I'd consider having it fitted w/ a pin-bridge...I knew someone that had that done to a similar Harmony (think it was either a Silvertone or an Airline) and it really balanced out the tone!

• Members

Made by the good folks in Chicago, Harmony, for some dept. store, but I don't recall which...might be a little older than a '69 - maybe as old as a '67.

Solid birch top/back/sides, ladder braced.

Value might be up to $200 or so, depending on condition.

Is birch any good then?

Two more things:

1. What can I use to clean the fretboard (very greasy, from 40 years of fretting)?

2. What strings should I use? (extra light? brand?)

• Members

Well, that's definately a Harmony guitar. It's similar to my H942 (see my avitar), though the H942 uses bridge pins and has inlaid fret markers. The tuning machines on mine are also stiff. I soaked mine in oil for a week, cleaned them, lubed them, did all I can, and they are still stiff. Probably time for new tuning machines. That's the route I'm going with mine anyhow.

Which ones are you going to buy? Also, what oil did you soak them in?

• Members

Well, I posted a thread asking what folks though about the Kluson Deluxe tuning machines. I like the vintage look of them, and don't want to actually install modern ones on my guitar, so I may go that route. If/when I get them and install them, I'll let you know what I think of them. I'm actually hoping that the posts are the same diameter of the Harmony ones so I can use the existing bushings, that took me for ever to find, and not have to modify the headstock.

Dan

• Members

I tried Marvel Mystery Oil. I use it for a lot of machinery, and works fine. Since this is basically a "machine", I figured a week in it would work out. I would work the gears a bit as well, to hopefully loosen everything up. Basicall, I think the bearing surface on mine widened. With no pulling pressure on the posts, they turn as nice as any tuning machine, once the strings get up to tension, the machines are hard to turn, and you really have to wrench on them. Here's a link to the post talking about the tuning machines I'm looking at buying: http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1841290. I'm not receiving many responses, so I don't know if the tuning machines are just okay, or if many folks have just never tried them. Oh well. I can get a new set with vintage looking buttons on eBay for about $40, so I may buy a set within the next couple of weeks, assuming spacing of the posts match the headstock of the guitar.

Dan

• Members

I tried Marvel Mystery Oil. I use it for a lot of machinery, and works fine. Since this is basically a "machine", I figured a week in it would work out. I would work the gears a bit as well, to hopefully loosen everything up. Basicall, I think the bearing surface on mine widened. With no pulling pressure on the posts, they turn as nice as any tuning machine, once the strings get up to tension, the machines are hard to turn, and you really have to wrench on them. Here's a link to the post talking about the tuning machines I'm looking at buying:
http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1841290
. I'm not receiving many responses, so I don't know if the tuning machines are just okay, or if many folks have just never tried them. Oh well. I can get a new set with vintage looking buttons on eBay for about $40, so I may buy a set within the next couple of weeks, assuming spacing of the posts match the headstock of the guitar.

Dan

Yeah, they turn just fine up to a point, then they come to a screeching halt.

Guess I'll buy me some Marvel.

412SEF1C7CL._AA280_.jpg

• Members

Like I said though, it didn't make a bit of difference on my tuning machines. May as well save your money for some new tuning machines.

I know it might not make a difference, but it won't hurt either. A bottle of oil is what, 5 bucks? And it might be useful to have some oil in the house anyway.

• Members

Very true. Hopefully it'll work out on your tuning machines. If yours were used as much as mine were, you may have the same issue, that the bearing surface widened, and are stressed under pulling pressure.

Anyhow, enjoy that "new" guitar of yours. I love the sound of mine. I am letting my sister use it for lessons since it is the one she is most comfortable playing right now. I can't wait to find another one like ours to give to her so I can have mine back.

Once I find tuning machines that work in my guitar, I'll let you know so you can keep your eyes open for a new set, if oiling yours doesn't work.

Dan

• Members

Actually, Spruce, and others, you may want to get a bottle of Tri-Flow oil (not the dry stuff) around if you have any other tuning machines on other guitars that have non-sealed gears. http://www.lmii.com/CartTwo/thirdproducts.asp?searchtext=oil&NameProdHeader=Tri%2DFlow+Oil

This stuff works very well, and doesn't run all over the place. I try to put a drop on each tuner at least once a year or so on my mandolin and on a couple of guitars. Keeps the tuning machines operating smoothly. I also keep it in the shop to lubricate other tuning machines, etc. on instruments I work on.

Dan

• Members

Anyhow, enjoy that "new" guitar of yours. I love the sound of mine. I am letting my sister use it for lessons since it is the one she is most comfortable playing right now. I can't wait to find another one like ours to give to her so I can have mine back.

What strings does she use? :)

Once I find tuning machines that work in my guitar, I'll let you know so you can keep your eyes open for a new set, if oiling yours doesn't work.

Dan

I just called my guitar tech, and he said that he has various tuners around.

• Members

That's a mighty handsome Harmony.
I'm gonna get me one of those Harmony's by hook or something
:)

Trina

That picture is from the net (see the link in my original post), but my Barclay looks just like it (only the pickguard on mine has a 'made in USA' decal on it).

• Members

Awesome!!!

I bought 3-in-one multi-purpose oil, and it did the trick. A couple of tuners are still a bit stiff, but I can tune the guitar, and it also stays in tune pretty well. I put new DR PB 12-54 strings, and it sounds good. Not bad at all, really. It looks good too. And it was basically free, since the accessories alone are worth more than 20. I mean, yeah, it's just a guitar, and a cheap beater at that.. Still, things could be worse. :eek:

It is kinda hard to move up and down the fretboard with this guitar, tho. Anyway, gotta go, just thought I'd mention that the oil did help in my case.

Oil:

3in1oil.jpg

• Members

BTW, so is there anything I can do to fix up the neck / fretboard? I'm re-humidifying the guitar now, but what else can I do? The back of the neck is a bit 'dry'. Besides humidification, is there something I can apply on the neck? And what about the fretboard? Lemon oil? Steel wool on the fretboard and the frets?

• Members

BTW, so is there anything I can do to fix up the neck / fretboard? I'm re-humidifying the guitar now, but what else can I do? The back of the neck is a bit 'dry'. Besides humidification, is there something I can apply on the neck? And what about the fretboard? Lemon oil? Steel wool on the fretboard and the frets?

:poke:

Archived