Original tune from one of my students!

Stackabones

• Members

I'm not sure about that 5/8 in Brahmz's thing. I think the first and fourth measures are in 6. I'm going to try to transcribe it real quick and see what I come up with. Ideally, you'd get it some way where the eighth note stays constant, but I really think that this kid just did it in a way that felt right to him and coming up with a "correct" transcription might be useful to us "grown ups" but he's doing it consistently. So he knows how it's supposed to sound in his head.

Ellen

There are definitely times when that first measure is more in 6 than 5 (the C is a dotted quarter instead of just a quarter), but the beginning of the piece isn't one of those times. I think the 2nd measure is more consistently in 5 though.

You're right though -- this transcription process between us grown-ups doesn't necessarily get any closer to his intentions. We could notate that live performance so precisely that we could program it into a computer and the two would match up perfectly, but I don't think there would be any point. I was even hesitant to impose my transcription on the piece, since notation wasn't part of its genesis. But I did so merely as an attempt to communicate what I liked about it.

• Members

I'm not sure about that 5/8 in Brahmz's thing. I think the first and fourth measures are in 6. I'm going to try to transcribe it real quick and see what I come up with. Ideally, you'd get it some way where the eighth note stays constant, but I really think that
this kid just did it in a way that felt right to him
and coming up with a "correct" transcription might be useful to us "grown ups" but
he's doing it consistently. So he knows how it's supposed to sound in his head.

Ellen

I think that might be what makes it so fresh and artistic. Music from the heart.

• Members
I think that might be what makes it so fresh and artistic. Music from the heart.

I think that people who "know nothing" about music often know the most. They don't have any preconceived notions of what music "should be" altering the way they write. There was a guy I was in a band with and despite knowing nothing about the way music "should" fit together, he always wrote the most creative and fresh chord progressions. He was just picking a chord that seemed to fit to him, he wasn't picking a chord because you always have resolve from V7 to I or whatever.

Regardless, to keep me on my musical toes, here's my transcription. Only slightly different from Brahmz's.

6xhsgad.png

Ellen

• Members

Thanks Ellen! Very cool for you to take the time to transcribe it!!!

I sent his mom a copy of the earlier transcription and a pdf of this thread. I'll have to do an update.

BTW, I told his mom about this forum ... but mentioned to her that it was public place and while it was pretty clean at HCAG ... other areas of HC could be a bit inappropriate for an eight year old. She agreed -- and she said that he's going to very excited about all the hoopla!

• Members
I think that people who "know nothing" about music often know the most.

Maybe, maybe not, but now I don't feel quite so inferior. ;)

They don't have any preconceived notions of what music "should be" altering the way they write. There was a guy I was in a band with and despite knowing nothing about the way music "should" fit together, he always wrote the most creative and fresh chord progressions. He was just picking a chord that seemed to fit to him, he wasn't picking a chord because you always have resolve from V7 to I or whatever......

Ellen

Thing about jamming with those of us who know nothing about music - somebody says "hey, let's try a blah-blah-minor-whatever chord" and all they get from me is a "deer-in-the-headlights" stare. My face looks like an envelope with no address on it. Frustrating for everyone who has to show me. The light bulb comes on when I see the chord, thinking "duh - I knew that, just don't know what to call it."

I am always impressed by folks who are musically educated and smart like y'all. :thu:

• Members

I love theory but sometimes it's cumbersome. My Guitarist has told me stories about jamming with folks from the Crane School of Music, where they were playing The Violent Femmes "Blister in the sun" and arguing over the vocal melody...:freak:

In that context, you have to loosen up a bit. I'm a firm believer in FEEL. :cool:

Tell your student I say, nice job man! :thu:

Archived